Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Night Rod Special has 800 Km on it (500 miles) and just today I hear a hsssss every time I use my front break. Just started happening today without a warning. Also, I thought I felt a slight wobble at around 30 mph.. very slight.. and then it went away. I rode a few more miles at the same speed and it did not seem to re-occur (the very slight wobble) but I still hear the hsssssss when I use the front break. also hear the hssss when I just push the bike with the engine off and brake not depressed....

could it be that something needs tightening? Adjusting? Any ideas?

thanks

·
Lover of Bikes
1,726 Posts
You shant. I hear mine a bit but when my V-Rod buddy is cruising beside me I can hear his brake pads rubbing over the sound of my exhaust. If you'd like a better opinion you could ride out to Bowmanville and I'll check out your wobble.

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Just noise. Ignore it... I'm on 3rd set of pads and it's still there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all

for the responses. so i wont panic now going for long drives.

seems the wobble was just the road at a certain stretch i guess. any connection?

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
The hiss is almost certainly the pads just lightly brushing the disk, no problem.

However to check, ride for a bit (a mile?) without touching the front brakes and then come to halt using just the rear. Touch both front disks - careful, they could be very hot.

If one is very hot and the other just warm then a caliper is giving trouble - a piston is sticking. If they are more or less the same temperature, and neither is roastingly hot then all is well.

This normally only happens in cold, salty climates like the UK, so it is very unlikely to happen to you.

Note - I know a lot about bikes, but I'm new to VRods myself.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello Louis,

Thanks much for this information. I will try this out the moment I get home this evening. Do you think this random seeming wobble of the front wheel was a random thing? Any way you can suggest how I can test that out without going to the dealership. I rode around around 2 - 3 miles after that and I could not detect the wobble which made me wonder if it was the road or was it at random with the brakes overheating???

Thanks again

Vicky

P.S. you are a fantastic photographer too :) I like photography with my Nikon D200 but I dare not go into details on this forum

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Cheers Vicky, glad you like the photos. Are you on Flickr?

Main thing I need is some saddlebags SOON to carry the cameras - I love this bike, but with no carrying capacity it isn't much use!

That 240 rear tyre is really wide, so if you drift onto a surface change then it will step up or down onto the surface before the front. That moves the contact patch round around and tries to tip the bike, producing an evil momentary squirm. Nothing to worry about, although mine did it really nastily just I was taking it onto the motorway (freeway?) for the first time to give it some stick - NOT the confidence booster you need when you are about to check out the high speed stability :)

I'm sure your bike is fine, the hiss is the pads, and the wobble was a one off surface change.

If it carries on wobbling and the hiss gets louder though, then that would mean either a front wheel bearing has failed or the clamps and bolt that hold the front wheel on are loose. You can check the latter by visual inspection, but I don't see how you can check the former without lifting the wheel off the ground.

Like I say, a failed front wheel bearing or a seized piston in the brake caliper would be EXTREMELY unlikely on a 500 mile old bike. Unless it suddenly gets worse, relax :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts