Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is elementary, but I live in a very hilly area. Often I have to stop at a stop sign or traffic light where the hill is very steep. I always feel uneasy that I might loose the bike when I take off. I always hold the position with the front brake, but I am always afraid that I might not give enough throttle and kill the engine, or too much and spin out. I believe this is just a phobia, but would like some comments. Thanks.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
I use the rear brake on extreme hills and then get pressure on the clutch before I release it.

Max

·
Chad 02 V-ROD
1,364 Posts
Live in Tx hardly any hills lot of flat roads but I would think if you let off the front brake and your starting to roll you don't need much gas to let out on the clutch. Just practice smoking the back tire in your driveway and it's all good. :cheers: :cheers:

·
20 Eyes in my Head
5,557 Posts
SSR,

Once you get it down, it will become second nature to you and you won't even think about it. I like to start off the back brake as well, waiting to release it untill you feel it start pulling. After some practice you will get it.

Later,
Gary

:kaz:

·
Rocky Mountain VRodr
524 Posts
My driveway is on a hill (small, but steep enough). I practice on it every time I come home.

The real key is to slooooowly slip the clutch, even after it starts pulling. At first, the temptation was to pop it to get moving quickly, but after a few stalls (in traffic no less, how embarrassing), I remember every time now.

Practice makes perfect... good luck.

KARAF

·
Registered
765 Posts
As was said, Right foot on the rear brake (holding the bike upright with your left foot, of course) and slowly let out the clutch. You'll feel when it's time to get off the rear brake. It sounds harder to gauge than it is, but practice on some less steep hills.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Rear brake for hill starts. Keep revs up, let out clutch until you feel it engage and rear suspension compresses, gently release rear brake and balance clutch using constant throttle. It's all clutch control co-ordinated to rear brake. As someone said, it's practise!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.