Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought an 06 vrsca and absolutely love the bike-especially riding the mountain roads. I have a problem getting to the mountains as the bike seems very unsteady on the highway. I can go 70, 80, even 90 on the backroads with no problem, but that's not the case on the highway. It feels like I have no control and the wind is blowing me all over the place. Any idea what's causing this? Is it common to all bikes?

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
oops

I had the wind wobbles on interstates and in crosswinds until I had my wheels slotted. I can run all around an 18-wheeler now at 70 and no wobble. So...I can't offer any other advice.

·
Premium Member
Pan American Son of VROD :-)
1,093 Posts
If your bike was purchased used, you may have a ride that was damaged during an accident and need to explore that set of variables more closely.

I'm assuming you are a new rider and that your bike was purchased new. I also ride an VRSCA.

All bikes encounter turbulence on the highway and it's much more noticeable than what you may have experienced in a car.

SUVs and Semis move a lot of air and that air must fold back in behind them as they move down the road. It does take a little getting used to... The bike has a couple of gyroscopes that keep it upright at that speed so you can relax the grip when you feel that wind... I realize this is the opposite of what you might instinctively do.

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
Robbie said:
Tire pressure?
That's what I was thinking, but then he said he can do high speeds on the back roads with no problems. Hmm...:confused:

·
MARK
644 Posts
in heavier traffic the bike rides different.
when I leave in the morning at 6 am the bike feels perfect never wobbles
going home at 6pm with commuter traffic I feel like I have to fight to keep the bike in lane. you just get used to it after riding after a while

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
gcc255 said:
so you have no problem at all now? maybe I need to check and have the front wheel high speed balanced. thanks.
Balanced is balanced. Weather static balanced or high speed balanced. A balance issue would be a vibratory issue that would get worse at higher speed. It's predictable, and repeatable.

If you aren't an experienced rider, then let someone who is ride the bike on the highway. I would reccommend a tech at the delaership, or someone similar. They should be able to tell you if what you are experiencing is an issue to be concerened about, or something you need to get used to. :2cents:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks guys. I'm an experienced motocross rider but this is my 1st street bike. i'll have the dealer check it out today, and if they can't find anything I'll just assume it's the way it's supposed to be. It makes sense that there would be alot more wind on an 8 lane hwy regardless of traffic. Also, it's counterintuitive to loosen my grip, but if I wasn't holding on for dear life maybe I wouldn't feel all of the feedback thru the grips.

·
On Good Ol' Nbr7
7,267 Posts
Try dropping your elbows. Also, how many miles are on the bike? If you bought it used and it still has the original Dunlop tires, check the front for cupping, although I doubt it would be that as the bike would vibrate on the back roads as well as the highway.

As RJ said, find someplace where the vibration is repeatable and have a knowledgeable V-Rod tech ride it on the same road.

HoldHard

·
aka shudude
3,174 Posts
rjrivero said:
Balanced is balanced. Weather static balanced or high speed balanced. A balance issue would be a vibratory issue that would get worse at higher speed. It's predictable, and repeatable.

If you aren't an experienced rider, then let someone who is ride the bike on the highway. I would reccommend a tech at the delaership, or someone similar. They should be able to tell you if what you are experiencing is an issue to be concerened about, or something you need to get used to. :2cents:
:them:

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
gcc255 said:
thanks guys. I'm an experienced motocross rider but this is my 1st street bike. i'll have the dealer check it out today, and if they can't find anything I'll just assume it's the way it's supposed to be. It makes sense that there would be alot more wind on an 8 lane hwy regardless of traffic. Also, it's counterintuitive to loosen my grip, but if I wasn't holding on for dear life maybe I wouldn't feel all of the feedback thru the grips.
If you have rain grooves on your highway's (like CA) the bikes tire's may be tracking those grooves making it feel unstable, but in the mountains they didn't have the rain grooves and the bike was fine. I ended up changing tire's to a different tread pattern and it cured the problem.

·
Registered
330 Posts
gcc255 said:
If you are an experienced motocrosser go back to that style of riding, grip the bike with your knees and loosen up on the handgrips a little.

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
WHAT ARE THE ROADS MADE OF CEMENT OR TAR, ARE THERE RAIN GROVES?
And relax and do not grip the bars tight!

·
Out to Lunch
801 Posts
Could it be that on the open highway there's nothing to block the wind and it's affecting you more? I notice it coming out of a valley and into an open area all the time and then you get the traffic that temporary blocks it only to have the wind drive you to the side when you pass them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have an 06 SE2 for about 1 year now and have ridden somewhat conservatively since I purchased it, top speed maybe around 140kmh (90mph approx.). Yesterday went for a 2 hour ride on a empty highway and decided to open her up a little more, holy crap! I reached 155kmh (almost 100mph) and the front end of the bike went crazy, the wobble was so severe that the handlebars were going back and forth a couple of inches at least, the front tire and rim looked like it had been severly bent it was wobbling so bad. Im calling the dealer tomarrow, since today is a holiday up here in Canada.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts