Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
come here dummy
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone mounted highway pegs on the R without adding engine guards?

I would love to mount them like the D... but I don't think they make quick clamps in our frame size.

I also don't really want to give up angle clearance.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
ESP

·
Guitar, not Gator
8,049 Posts
Yes, a couple guys have cobbled them together with 1-1/2" clamps from the J&P catalog mounted directly to the frame. I plan on doing it one of these days. :broke:

·
Registered
138 Posts
14 Posts
Wow Hackenfort, yours looks great. Where did you get the highway bar? I also noticed your saddle bags. Are those beatle bags from Corbin?
Brian

·
Guitar, not Gator
8,049 Posts
I got my highway bar from eBay. The guy had it listed as a VRSRC (dyslexic?) so I was the only bidder and got it for $89.

hackenfort's sig says HD bags... hmmm, I didn't think they would fit. :popcorn:

·
Registered
138 Posts
The engine guard is from HD - like gtrman said watch e-bay, I have seen several go across the blocks cheap. Same thing with the bags, they are standard HD - they are not for the R model, but can be adapted pretty easy.

Again found them on e-bay - HD Dealer in Florida had them listed at about 1/2 msrp. I wanted the corbin's, had them on my last bike, just couldn't justify the $1700 plus shipping.

Take care,

Kevin

·
reservation dogs
1,993 Posts
I swapped out lower frame rails on my R and used factory D style front pegs. You also have to cut or replace the radiator shrouds and change the kick stand. I found all the parts I needed in the classified section.

·
Registered
138 Posts

·
come here dummy
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice pic... I like the idea of switching out the lower frame rails...that's a lot of work I must admit. Great ideas. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
The hard bags look great. Can you go into detail on how you made them fit?
Thanks! Joe

·
Registered
138 Posts
To mount the standard V-Rod Harley Davidson Hard bags on the VRSCR I had to remove the rear fender as you would with the standard V-Rod, the big differences, the mounting on the standard uses a bracket that replaces the rear shock bolt and a tab hole on the rear part of the fender which the R does not have.

So I took the shock/bolt bracket supplied with the mounting kit and ground off about 1" from the bolt end. The R rear fender already has a hole about 2" behind the shock that I used to mount the bracket to, once mounted push the bracket all the way forward until it reaches the plastic inner fender. Make sure to check tire clearances, before going any further, this is why I ended up grinding off the long bolt area.

Then I took two pieces of 1" X 5" alum, (the only tricky part) you will need to mount the bracket with the bag, paying close attention to the clearances around the rear signal lights. Mark and drill two holes in the alum where you want the bag aligned. The one end will attach to the rear portion of the inner fender just behind the reflectors, and the other end will bolt up to the frame of the mounting bracket supplied with the bags.

The rear rail that connects the two sides together will need a few washers to move it down a bit and make it line up with the lines of the rear fender. At first I wanted to leave this off, but it really firms up the supports and make the whole thing rigid. Overall I think it took me about 3 hrs total to mount them, I'm sure next time I could cut that in half.

As far a movement, it's not going to happen with the HD brackets, there is no way the bags can hit anything, they rest on rubber cushions and they are mounted very rigid, the exhaust is mounted very tight too. I live in upstate NY and we have some of the worst road conditions you can imagine, the only thing I don't like the bags need to be carpeted as I can hear things moving around inside the bags.

The clearance between the exhaust and the bag is about 1/2" at the outside edge of the bag. It had me worried about the heat, but so far no issues, and I have put on just over 1K miles. Each time I have checked the surface of the bag it is barley warm to the touch. My Beetle bags on my last bike were as close and directly over the exhaust pipe - never had an issue in 20K miles.

I know this is long and very boring to read, a couple of pictures would show everything better. This winter when I have it apart I'll take some. If anyone tries mounting them and wants to contact me, I'll share what I know.

Kevin

[email protected]

PS I like the highway pegs when I'm on the inerstate, the corbin seat with new handlebars give me an upright seating position.

·
Guitar, not Gator
8,049 Posts
japie said:
highway pegs on an R :rofl: no wonder the other vrod owners :stilpoke: us
Those who have put in 800+ miles days understand the value of extra feet/leg positions.

Kevin, do the bags touch during bumps? I'm just not seeing how that wouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
49 Posts
josephthreedogs said:
I swapped out lower frame rails on my R and used factory D style front pegs. You also have to cut or replace the radiator shrouds and change the kick stand. I found all the parts I needed in the classified section.
About how much did it cost? I thought about doing that but figured the cost wouldn't have been worth it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
gtrman66 said:
Kevin, do the bags touch during bumps? I'm just not seeing how that wouldn't be a problem.
Not at all - and I have went over a lot of bad roads up here... Both the exhaust and the bags are rigid mounted so the distance between them is always the same.

kevin

1 - 17 of 17 Posts