Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, new to the forum. I recently got a 06 vrscr and after a quick search I’ve not found an easy way to mount highway pegs with a crash bar. If someone has figured this out please let me know. Great to be a part of the vrod family thanks

·
Registered
593 Posts
Welcome and good choice with the R. As you’ll probably already know, she is a beast unto herself. As in.. most accessories are unique to the R model alone, and therefore difficult to find. Like the elusive crash bars. There was a set on here not too long ago, but I believe it was sold, and the bars for other models don’t fit. Keep it for what it is- the only v-rod that both goes AND turns- don’t try and make it something it’s not. That being said, parts do turn up occasionally

·
Registered
51 Posts
I copied other VRSCR riders and used 1 1/2 inch clamps directly to the frame its a tight fit but you can squeeze them in. The peg is fairly high to clear the exhaust pipe. It did help very much on longer rides I would lay back of my legs on the pegs.

I had to take them off when I mounted the crash bars and get smaller clamps. There a little lower and wider now and my wallet is much lighter.

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
I mounted stock R foot pegs right on the crash bar using brackets from J&P Cycles, the end of the pegs drop down at 90 degrees to the lower crash bar tube so it turns out that's a natural angle for your feet, they work perfect, very compact and fold up and back easily like a switchblade when stowed. The higher and more pullback your handlebars have the better the ergonomics, I put '12 DX bars using the R risers and all is a great fit for a 5'9" rider.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Guess I should learn to read all the word's. Here are pictures of the same pegs, used H-D rubber foot pegs and smaller 1 1/4 inch clamps on H-D VRSC crash bars. I stole this idea from a pic on the web dated 08/27/2007. This has all been down before but finding the info for a 14 year old unpopular bike is a challenge!

I used only the steel clamps and the Amazon long L shaped aluminum mounts I already had. I recommend the steel clamps. The so called "billet" or cheap cast clamps brake if overtightened.

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
Looks great summerjim ! yea I used the same clamps on the engine guard they are awesome & stay put. I have the same setup on my Triumph 3 Cyl 900 but it's a stressed engine bike so there's a tube that attaches to the engine threaded at each end that the pegs screw into - not cheap either over $ 500 15 years ago 😳 plus foot pegs ! H-D accessories are cheap compared to Triumph ! So I always fold up the Triumph pegs before I drop into the twisties, as they're lower and wider like yours and they may scrape - any concern those might scrape before the max lean angle of the R ? (y):cool:

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
I'll never own a bike that scrapes anything without being leaned way the hell over like 35-40 degrees - when your big twin fixed touring footboards dictate how far you can lean and turn that's a big problem in my eyes. At least foot pegs can be folded up out the way but everyone's seen videos and photos of guys sliding on their floorboards low siding their big bikes into the oncoming lane and off the side of the road in front of Kill Boy photos at Tail of the Dragon and other places. I'll never own that restrictive of a lean bike it's actually dangerous and causes it's own accidents in normal and emergency maneuvers and the rider and pax are the victims - along with anyone they hit while careening into the other lane 😲 - so unnecessary and stupid. :cool:

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think the pegs will fold back if I got that far over. Through the twisties I put my feet on the mid controls where they belong. I need these to stretch my old legs out on the straight stretches between fuel stops.

If you’re not scraping… you’re not trying! You younger guys have fun. My potbelly, grey hair and beard says those days have passed me by several decades ago.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi guys, new to the forum. I recently got a 06 vrscr and after a quick search I’ve not found an easy way to mount highway pegs with a crash bar. If someone has figured this out please let me know. Great to be a part of the vrod family thanks
well my friend, welcome to the club of the few and the proud "R" riders, Quoting Mr. Streetrodracer "the redhaired stepchild of H-D".

Regarding the highway pegs issue, mine came with clamps attached to the frame as you can see:

later in the road I gave both kidneys, and arm and a leg to an obsolete HD parts in Holland for my crash bars (also known as engine guards) and used a different type of clamps and currently my bike is like this:

(please note that those photos were taken just after finishing the installation and before adjusting the pegs angle to some 45 degrees back when folded)

I hope that this can be of help.

Ride Safe!

·
VRSC est -03
3,058 Posts
later in the road I gave both kidneys, and arm and a leg to an obsolete HD parts in Holland for my crash bars (also known as engine guards)...
Huh, so you had to bite the bullet? But agree, absurd prices Mr Boon operates with, just checked the cost for the engine guard...

When it comes to highway pegs, I was not completely happy with the bracket attachment around the frame tubes on my R, it got a little too flimsy. The next version will be attached to the Allen head frame bolts. Winter work...

Reactions: Cmintegra

·
Registered
78 Posts
Huh, so you had to bite the bullet? But agree, absurd prices Mr Boon operates with, just checked the cost for the engine guard...

When it comes to highway pegs, I was not completely happy with the bracket attachment around the frame tubes on my R, it got a little too flimsy. The next version will be attached to the Allen head frame bolts. Winter work...
yes my friend, not only had to pay mr JWBoon in gold bars covered with diamonds but he wouldn't ship outside the EU, so in addition I had to get the part to a friend in Spain so he could forward it to me in Canada by Fedex... but I got my engine guard which is much more enjoyable than any money paid in Alimony LOL!!! (for a +300 kg bike it's a MUST for me in case of a drop... Sadly I still have nothing to address that on my 2020 Triumph Rocket 3 GT)

Happy riding!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts