Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last time I was at the track I bought 20 gallons for 110 octane unleaded from a friend who's the Outlaw fuel distributor. It's for my turbo charged / BB V-Rod. I brought it home and mixed it half and half with 91 octane because that's the highest octane we can get up here. Seems to run good and strong so far. Anyone know what octane is acceptable for these turbo motors for mainly street riding without damaging anything? Thanks, Pat.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
patm said:
The last time I was at the track I bought 20 gallons for 110 octane unleaded from a friend who's the Outlaw fuel distributor. It's for my turbo charged / BB V-Rod. I brought it home and mixed it half and half with 91 octane because that's the highest octane we can get up here. Seems to run good and strong so far. Anyone know what octane is acceptable for these turbo motors for mainly street riding without damaging anything? Thanks, Pat.
Pat I have never run anything but 93 octane pump gas in mine and just passed 17k miles of turbo use last weekend.

·
RICK
648 Posts
When You Run The Higher Octane, It'll Lean Out The Bike- General Maps Are Good With The 93 Pump Gas. I Wouldn't Go Past 100 Without Remapping. If You Do Use 100, Make Sure You Don't Have Any Surging Or Lean Feeling Condition. Keep An Eye On Your Plugs. One Of My Customers Melted His Plug Electrode Right Off. If I Was You, I'd Stick With The 93 Or 94 Pump Gas Unless You Have A Dyno And Can Change Your Map.

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RNTRACING said:
When You Run The Higher Octane, It'll Lean Out The Bike- General Maps Are Good With The 93 Pump Gas. I Wouldn't Go Past 100 Without Remapping. If You Do Use 100, Make Sure You Don't Have Any Surging Or Lean Feeling Condition. Keep An Eye On Your Plugs. One Of My Customers Melted His Plug Electrode Right Off. If I Was You, I'd Stick With The 93 Or 94 Pump Gas Unless You Have A Dyno And Can Change Your Map.
Thanks for the information guys. Rick, the highest you can get here in western Canada is 91 octane. If I recall from days gone by Sunoco used to sell a higher blend, no Sunoco's out here though. I figured mixing it 50/50 would give me around 100 octane but I could always adjust 60/40 or less and use the higher octane stuff as more of a booster for the 91 octane. Thanks, Pat.

·
Trask Performance
203 Posts
patm,
The map is built for 91 octane, that is all we can get out of the pump. If you want to go a couple of points higher thats cool, but if you go to high like rntracing said you will have to adjust your map.

·
REVOLUTION !!!
21,412 Posts
Pat, you could always move back home to Windsor... We still have 93 grade Sunoco :D

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
stomper said:
Pat, you could always move back home to Windsor... We still have 93 grade Sunoco :D
Dave, I'll bet there's lots of it, with all of the unemplyment nobody can afford to pay for it. :)

·
REVOLUTION !!!
21,412 Posts
patm said:
Dave, I'll bet there's lots of it, with all of the unemplyment nobody can afford to pay for it. :)
I was wrong on the Sunoco - it is 94 grade not 93 and today is selling for $1.16 per liter.. 91 is 1.13 /liter.... :D

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dave, it looks like your getting away easy, 91 octane here, right above the oil in the ground, is $ 1.26 / litre today. $ 1.26 x 4.56 litres per Imperial gallon = $ 5.75 / gallon. What a bargain! :hidesbeh:

·
Stooz
61 Posts
Out here in BC Chevron has 94 and that is what I run in mine. It is actually the only "clean" fuel we have in the Okanagan as it is trucked in rather than comin thru the same nasty pipeline as everything else.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts