Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told by a parts guy at the dealer yesterday that one could get a free mod performed for a new HD air head that turns off the spark (fuel??) to the rear cylinder when at idle, to keep the heat down. Sounds like a great idea for the large displacement baggers. Probably wouldn't do any good on a water cooled engine.

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
seems like it would sound pretty funny while stopped :hmm: you wouldn't have the "potato, potato"

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pot, pot.....

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Daniii said:
I was told by a parts guy at the dealer yesterday that one could get a free mod performed for a new HD air head that turns off the spark (fuel??) to the rear cylinder when at idle, to keep the heat down. Sounds like a great idea for the large displacement baggers. Probably wouldn't do any good on a water cooled engine.
Yes, they have been doing this on the airheads. The new 96 inchers have been running EXTREMELY hot due to the lean conditions required by the EPA. It does not seem to be working all that well either. There are a lot of upset people with these bikes and the heat caused by them. It is to the point where HD actually makes heat deflectors that can be added as accessories.

·
fire up !
700 Posts
i think HD introduced this on the touring models as from 02 (switch to Delphi EFI ?), I know my 02 RK does that when getting hot and it's a very-very strange feeling but it seems to help somewhat but it wasn't a mod, the EFI came like that (or it was included in the BB stage 1 flash ?)
not sure if it sounds like 'pot' or 'tato' though

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
The MoCo also offers one free uninstall. Would you knowledgable folk be willing to offer an explaination as to why one would want to get rid of it?

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
Diamond Lil said:
The MoCo also offers one free uninstall. Would you knowledgable folk be willing to offer an explaination as to why one would want to get rid of it?
I'm not knowledgable at all, but I would figure that if you were at idle and wanted to take off fast there would be a split second there that you would only be running on one cylinder :confused: I could and probably am wrong but that's the first thing that came to mind. Or maybe people just like hearing both cylinders firing ???

·
Jeff/Modistrator
6,136 Posts
lakedrunk said:
seems like it would sound pretty funny while stopped :hmm: you wouldn't have the "potato, potato"

Yea, I read about that....but instead of potato potato, it just says potOto now. :)

·
Darth Veeness
2,014 Posts
Diamond Lil said:
Because it doesn't work?:stilpoke:

·
fire up !
700 Posts
Diamond Lil said:
the only reason i can think of is that HD probably offers SERT & maps (and free flow air filter and pipes and...) that allow to enrich combustion hence drop the temp to a reasonable level , once installed there shouldn't be a need anymore to prevent the rear cylinder from firing ? just a thought
my RK has the BB kit so that's only 1 cui less than the present stock 96 but rarely switches to 'fire front cyl only' regime but i hear & read a lot about the TC 96's running extremely hot basically as a result to keep up with lowered emission standards ... i ask myself the question how much leaner HD can go with its air cooled V-twin engines ??
ps : i have 2 buddies with Ultra's (03 and 06) who use their front crash bars as extended oil coolers to avoid high temp situations... and it works ...

·
George
5,411 Posts
DeJaVue??? Cadillac V8-6-4???? That didn't work either

·
Registered
661 Posts
I had an 06 road king TC88, and the ECM has a heat management program that turns the rear cylinder on/ off when running hot...I could tell that it was doing it, bec, the engine sounds funny, like dull, when we're doing parade speed and lots of stop and go.

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
knightenforcer said:
I had an 06 road king TC88, and the ECM has a heat management program that turns the rear cylinder on/ off when running hot...I could tell that it was doing it, bec, the engine sounds funny, like dull, when we're doing parade speed and lots of stop and go.
Yes, but did it work for you? Did you like it?

·
This is Only a Test
284 Posts
My 05 LowRider does something similar, I think all the TC88's of that model year or newer do something similar.

If I remember the description properly, if the cylinder head sensor shows 375F degrees, IF AND ONLY IF you are sitting dead still at idle, the fuel management system cuts fuel completely, skipping strokes from alternate cylinders, one stroke at a time, to allow the engine to cycle cool air through the cylinders, as a preventive to overheating. It's definitely a noticeable change in the idle, but the second you open the throttle and start to move, it stops instantly. Works great for me.

At a walking / rolling speed the idle is smooth. Uh, well, normal, anyway. Occasionally at 105 degrees it has made me think the bike would actually run cooler if traffic would just go ahead and stop, rather than roll on for 40 min at such a slow speed there is no effective cooling air movement anyway.

there would be a split second there that you would only be running on one cylinder
...and there you have the appeal of an engine with 775 cc displacement for each cylinder.
On big slow revving Harleys, if you're not pushing it, every time you pull away from a stop you're running on one cylinder, then the next one, then the next one.... and it's enough!

It does make switching back and forth to the V-Rod interesting.
For the first year I had a hell of a time remembering to keep the revs up on the B-Rod.

·
Banned
654 Posts
on my Sturgis trip that was almost always the first question i was asked.

does your crotch overheat. every bagger owner complained about the excessive heat from the rear cylinder.

my answer was "heat we have no heat on a Vrod":dance:

Dennis

·
Registered
661 Posts
Diamond Lil said:
Yes, but did it work for you? Did you like it?
I know it's kinda late response, But few things I did'nt miss when I sold the RK was the Heat from the engine and a lot of Vibes when stopped/ at idle.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts