Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, help/advice please.

2011 VRSCF with 28K miles. Front tire in very good shape. Last evening on a particular stretch at about 90 mph moving left I experienced the front end want to do a little head shake. The bars were briefly being pulled side to side. First time I've experienced this and it made me want to piss myself. Straightened out/slowed down and it was back to normal. Did not manage to repeat the scenario for science's sake.

I've not ever had anything done to the front end.

What am I in for here?

Thx.

·
Asatruar
2,965 Posts
Did you happen to cross a seam in the pavement where the Highway Dept. repaired it by "dribbling" tar across the seam; aka a "Tar snake"?

I've had that happen a few times,it will definitely get your attention !

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Guys, help/advice please.

2011 VRSCF with 28K miles. Front tire in very good shape. Last evening on a particular stretch at about 90 mph moving left I experienced the front end want to do a little head shake. The bars were briefly being pulled side to side. First time I've experienced this and it made me want to piss myself. Straightened out/slowed down and it was back to normal. Did not manage to repeat the scenario for science's sake.

I've not ever had anything done to the front end.

What am I in for here?

Thx.
Shake is generally caused from the tire, even if it looks good. It can be from too loose head bearings or rear wheel alignment that places odd loads on the front tire in certain situations. If the rear is off, it makes the bike do a mini dog track, usually unnoticed by the rider but there is a slight COG shift relative to the centerline of the tires. Too loose of head bearings won't offer a damper effect to cancel and small inputs that could get the front into a cycle. Front tire, depending on wear in relation to centerline places uneven loading in the tire belts making it unstable at certain speeds.
In a prefect world, the head bearings could be really loose and no head shake but if there's one flaw in the rest, it's dampening effect from bearing friction is just enough to stop the cycle from building and getting out of control.
Ron

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a '13 Muscle with Street Glide inner and outer fairing, wind shield with trim, bra, mounting brackets, double din radio (Sony AX700) with six speakers, and 7" JW Speaker headlight with lighted trim.

I get a pronounced front-end wobble around 50-70 mph when changing lane or sudden shift. Tires have less than 3k miles, properly inflated.

Questions: Will heavier springs correct issue? (currently have progressive upgrades)
Is there a way to adjust existing springs?
Would different tires help? (Pirelli Night Dragons)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.