Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Flat Broke
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have a 10 F'er and have somewhat of a shake or wabble at 100+ MPH is this normal, or should I get the bike looked at. I thought maybe it was the road a couple times but it happened the other day a 110 on a pretty smooth road.

·
Flat Broke
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, thought pressure and possibly weights, pressure for sure is good. Could be weights but I was leaning away from them since it is fine until really high speed. I will get them checked though. What is the Fall away though? I am not familiar with that term.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Soften up the suspension. Go to lowest rear setting. Run Tire pressure 36f/38r. Use full face Helmet. Wind resistance at that speed is massive and will induce lots of shaking. Those are sports car tips. Are you on a private track? Slow down on the street. The life you save might be yours.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have the same problem around 110-120 and my buddy was on his VRSCDX right behind me and said he was fine. Either something is wrong with my bike or the design of the front end causes more wind shear i guess? Once I hit 130 I thought I was going down so I had to back off. Pretty scary stuff. Tire pressure was fine because I check it before every ride and I assume the weights are also fine since I have no issues up to 100.

·
TRANNY KILLER :)
14,572 Posts
the biggest factor producing the high speed front end shake/wobble is the fall away IMHO.... other things are in play, like tire ballance and air pressure, etc

I was pretty unhappy with my HS shake untill I lowered my front end (slide tubes up tress 1" or slightly more) on an F with the inverts this may be impossible

the fall away can be 'tightened' a little or a lot, some bikes come straight from factory with a sloppy head bearing setup, you can start by getting the bike up off the ground and checking the fall away, if it's 'loose' get it back to spec, go for HS ride and if the shake is reduced but not eliminated you can thighten it up some more, but caution! if you tighten the head bearings down too much you can cause more problems by destroying the bearings

I recently rebuilt my front end and am having a HS shake again so I will be adjusting the fall away this week

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
how many miles on your bike? Front tire cupping is common with the stock Dunlop tires. Inspect your front tire for uneven wear/cupping.

·
Flat Broke
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have 1500K on Dunlops. I will be taking it in to get looked at shortly. Thanks for all the insight.

·
Registered
119 Posts
My '08 DX does the same thing at about 110mph or so. My friend has an '08 DX and his does th same thing also. Both our front tires have uneven wear so we'll both be replacing them, but it seems to be more than just the tires that's causing it. Any speed up to 100mph is nice a smooth, over 100 and she starts to wobble.

·
Registered
117 Posts
my 10 f does the same thing!!!...wats the fall way?

·
Registered
294 Posts
my 09 f done the same thing it never had any weights on it and it was smooth til 100+
then the front end shook real bad

i put dyna beads in it and havent had the problem since:)

·
Throttle Happy!
797 Posts
my 09 f done the same thing it never had any weights on it and it was smooth til 100+
then the front end shook real bad

i put dyna beads in it and havent had the problem since:)
135mph and rock steady! Lots of wind though. :D

Interesting to hear more good about the Dyna Beads, would like to go this route with my next tire change. I don't like wheel weights.

Like other people are stating I also think it's a combination of things especially at those speeds... But some have to have more influence on the head shake. IMHO they seem to be in this order... just my opinion.

1. Fall Away
2. Tire Balance
3. Tire Condition
4. Tire Pressure

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
Check the oil level in the forks and make sure you have the same level in each measuring from the top of the fork.

·
Nuori mies nimetön
79 Posts
Check the oil level in the forks and make sure you have the same level in each measuring from the top of the fork.
Actually, F forks are different. The fork legs use different oil level between L/R if I remember correctly. At least the oil amount is different comparing L/R.

·
Flat Broke
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The Dyna beads seem pretty cool. Do you have to pop out the valve stem center like a car or can you just put the beads in? The instructions make it sound like all you do is pour on the motor bikes.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.