Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK... there has been some time that has passed now with many V-ROD owners changing out their stock rims to all sorts of different types of open wheel frames and discussions on how this affects handling.

My question is this.... Has open wheel frames significantly reduced the high speed buffeting? Has it had any affect on handling at all?

What is the verdict????

-Dipper

·
MARK
644 Posts
I have reduced my buffeting 90% by adding the fork brace...
we have a thread started in the "products" section of the forum

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Hi Dipper. I haven't added the fork brace, but I did change out my stock front wheel to a PM Monaco and it's made a huge difference. I don't have any buffeting now at any speed. I weigh in at about 125 lbs, so maybe heavier riders benefit more from the fork brace. I'm sure alot happier with the Monaco in any kind of cross wind.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Dipper,
Just like Val, I to replaced my wheels with PM Monacos', No more buffeting. Also my wife replaced hers with PM Wrath wheels. So, Yes, Lisa and I feel a huge diffference with the solid wheels off.

Doug

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well... that's all good news. . Thanks for the replies.

I am actually thinking of cutting my stock front wheel.

I have a buddy who owns a machine shop and will do this for me.

I know there are a lot of nice looking wheels out there. But I'm just looking to keep somewhat of the stock look intact. That's why I am choosing to cut my stock wheel.

In anyone's opinion....should just changing out or modifying the stock front wheel reduce the buffeting. Or do both wheels need to be modified or changed out?

Also, in cutting the stock rim, how much material will need to be removed to significantly reduce the buffeting? Anything I should be cautious of when cutting the stock rim?

Thanks

-Dipper

·
Registered
605 Posts
wheel buffeting

Had my wheels done by Rowe Machine in their sprint style. Like old style slotted mags. Cured my buffeting problems. Stock wheels are hollow centered with a deep drop rim. Leaves a limited area to machine. I was concerned with this but it seemed to work. Aftermarket wheels offer more variety but at greater cost. My bet would be to do the front wheel if on a budget. I would recomend this to any owner. Bruce, mtcyclone

1 - 14 of 14 Posts