Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After riding about 400 miles this weekend, about 5 miles from the house I noticed a high pitch hum that sounded like it was coming from the rear of the bike. I touch ed the brakes, no change. It also had a sound wave like the "swoosh" the front brakes make. Reminded me of the squeel tractor trailer brakes make. Are my rotors glazed, pads shot, never heard of this??? It really annoyed me the last 5 miles home. Note. I did do a lot of mountain curve carvin, but there was more straight than curves, hills, etc.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Sounds like a belt noise or maybe a bearing in the wheel or pulley .Check the belt tension first, had mine too tight once and it made weird noises.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never thought about the belt being too tight. Could be it since I just had a new rear tire put on at the stealership.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Belt Whine

I had a new rear tire put on and notice alott of belt whine after the install of the new tire. I can hear it very good when I coast and turn the engine off in nuetral of course. The belt whines like hell. I am new to V-Rods , uh, that ain't normal? Dar

·
Registered
543 Posts
Yea, they probly got the tension a tad too tight on the belt. I would hope they used a tensioning tool to set it, but ya never know about some dealers.

Dar, that ain't normal my brother.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is the tension supposed to be set at, so I can quiz the stealership to see if they even have a clue?

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
luvmyvrod said:
What is the tension supposed to be set at, so I can quiz the stealership to see if they even have a clue?
The belt tension is adjusted by measuring belt deflection.

You don't have any info in your profile or your post about what model VRSC you have. If its a an '02 to '06 and not a VRSCR:
1) motorcycle should be cold, upright, in neutral, and no rider on saddle
2) using belt deflection tool (HD 35381 = HD part # 40006-85) apply 10 lbs force to belt at location provided for this on lower belt "debris deflector"
3) belt deflection should be 6 mm (each mark on deflector window is 2 mm)

VRSCR belt deflection is different and I don't have the manual. I'm also not sure if it's different for the narrow belts used on the HD 240 wide tire models or the later models (starting in 2007) with the longer belts.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I've adjusted mine to tight more than once and so has the dealer,it's pretty easy to do.
Once I got the feel for it I can usually get it right the fist time without the tool.
Also make sure the belt rides in the center of the pully.There is just enough slop on the right side of the adjuster to get it centered.

Elrod on the V-Rod

1 - 8 of 8 Posts