Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Nothing but Chrome
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I ride in rural Nebraska, I find myself hunting for High Octane fuel. The 91-92 premium fuel is not always available. It seems mixing a half tank of regular with a half empty tank of High octane has'nt caused any problems. I have been in situations were a full tank of regular was required and you sure could notice the difference.

I had one old buzzard tell me all you need to do is add about 1 oz of motor oil and it will increase the octane in 2.5 gals of regular to better than 91-92.

Has anyone heard of this?? Any other suggestions?

Mike

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
If anything I would go with an octane booster.The higher the octane rating the slower the fuel mixture burns,and the lower the octane the faster it burns,which will led to detonation.That could eventually lead to engine damage.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Chromeframe while in theory they are correct that adding oil will increase the flash point it will also be very hard on the injectors and fuel system not to mention it really isn't the best substitute for octane. I would suggest you get a can of 104 and find a way to keep enough on the bike to mix.

Max

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
On this point - what is the optimum octane for the v-rod?

I understand I actually lose power if I go higher than that. 95 is common here. 98 is often available as well. If it loses power, what is the benefit of the high (say 98) octane fuels?

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
I use a fuel additive (X-10) in my car which allows me to go down one grade of fuel and not compromise fuel economy or cause knocking/pinging. I haven't tried this in my bike but I would imagine it would work just as well.

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
Karl Scott said:
On this point - what is the optimum octane for the v-rod?

I understand I actually lose power if I go higher than that. 95 is common here. 98 is often available as well. If it loses power, what is the benefit of the high (say 98) octane fuels?
With higher octane fuel,you need to add more ignition timing.Because it takes longer to burn.Meaning that the piston will be further down the whole when the gas ignites.You will need the plug to fire earlier so that the explosion happens closest to Top Dead Center.There's more compression the further up the hole than down.Which will give you a bigger explosion,more power :diablo:

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
Karl Scott said:
I understand I actually lose power if I go higher than that. 95 is common here. 98 is often available as well.
I'd be careful when comparing octane values reported from US riders as opposed to what you have available in Australia. Different countries have different methods for rating gasoline for sale at the pump.

Here in the US we use a (RON+MON)/2 formula. This is basically the average of the Research and Motor octane values; and will generally yield a lower value than the pure Research octane value. I would guess that in Australia gas is sold using only the Research Octane Number - so a 98 octane gas there might be equivalent to a 93 octane here. For more than you possibly thought you could ever want to know about gasoline, take a look at The Gasoline FAQ.

In summary: You will get the best results from using the lowest octane fuel that does not cause detonation (pinging). Follow the recommendation that comes with your Owners Manual as far as fuel grades. And pouring motor oil into your gas tank seems like a pretty good way to damage your engine - Thomas Midgely spent many years searching for an effective additive that would prevent knock without fouling the engine (he finally came up with tetraethyl lead). If he could have saved himself all those years of work by just dumping some 5w-30 in there - I'm pretty sure he would have done so.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Take it from somebody who KNOWS!Even The Best Fuel in the World won't make up for a BAD TUNE! :yak: Whats been said above is true on a STOCKER,but when you start adding allot of EXTRA AIR"Blower,Turbo,Nitrous Oxide"and raise the Compression everything Changes!I run an Over Kill VP C-23 for my Nitrous Motor .All the Octain in the world won't help you if your Tune up is WAY LEAN! :banghead:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts