Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· 1130cc Ninja
3,971 Posts

· 1130cc Ninja
3,971 Posts
devlpr said:
Hey guys (and the rest of you out there considering this mod)...if you think soldering two wires under the cover and hopefully wrapping them really well with waterproof electrical tape vs. a locking wire tap in the handle cover, also wrapped with electrical tape, is a better mod...by all means...solder away!

Either way you do it...DO IT!!!! This mod has saved my life twice this year at two separate intersections!!

if you think that using a wire tap that will either eventually come loose due to the vibration of the motorcycle, or begin to dry rot (like all plastic does when exposed to weather, becoming brittle and breaking apart) exposing the small metal clip inside making an excellent source of conductivity to the inside of the METAL switch housing causing a direct short on not only your low beam AND high beam headlights causing either a simple popped fuse, a possible wire beltdown, or possible fire as well as your headlights shutting off, all whilst driving at night is safer than a real soldered connection that will be permanent taped well so that there are no wires poking through the tape then by all means do it his way. :soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox:

· 1130cc Ninja
3,971 Posts
devlpr said:
They were both on the cell phone (I was RIGHT in front of them) they started to turn braked suddenly and their front end dipped.

You know it when you see it!

so you are 110% sure, because you can foresee the future, that had you not tapped these two wires together you wouldn't be posting here now?

· 1130cc Ninja
3,971 Posts
Biker Bill said:
Don't forget to add your modified head light to your list of stuff in you signature...:hiding:
just so you know.... you signature SUCKS!!!!!

· 1130cc Ninja
3,971 Posts
Biker Bill said:
Thank you!!:D
:D

my god that fills up the entire page!!!

· 1130cc Ninja
3,971 Posts
Biker Bill said:
Maybe some people will take a hint...
:notworth:

by far the way you did the mod is the best way to do this. It is in a location that is easier to work with sure to the slack you have to work with in the wiring. Also soldering an electrical connection is far better in longevity than using any type of solderless connection. You just need to be sure when taping the wires that you make sure there arent any frays sticking through the tape and that your tape is good and tight and will not peel back exposing the wiring.

· 1130cc Ninja
3,971 Posts
Biker Bill said:
Thanks. I did after all use RJ's recommendation. He is the V-ROD electrical GURU. Look at the tape again. It is on good and tight. I overlapped it on the factory conduit.
I wasn't saying yours wasn't done right.... just simply putting that out there for future search results :stooge:

· 1130cc Ninja
3,971 Posts
devlpr said:
Wow....interesting.

no, your post about your method being better based upon nothing was interesting.

· 1130cc Ninja
3,971 Posts
sgtrage said:
sshhhhhhhhhhh.......................whew! My house just almost got hit by an airplane.....if hadn't been for the porch light being on I would've been history just now!:stilpoke:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

i see what you did there

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.