Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
Joined
·
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 VRSCB High/Low Beam Modification

I though I'd post up a modification I did today. The inspiration comes from RJ and a few other members here. The idea is to have the low beam operate normally. Then when you switch to high beam, the low beam remains lit providing "more" light, per say. I haven't tried this out at night but it really lit up my garage in the day light. I think this is an easy quick mod anyone familiar with simple soldering/wiring techniques. Thanks RJ for the idea! On with the pics...
rjrivero said:
1. If you are using the HD garage door opener, don't bother doing this. It won't work with the opener.

2. If you take apart the hand control connector itself, you can solder a 16g or 18g wire directly to the crimp of the Deutsch connector and you don't have to worry about weather or not your taping job will be good. Not to mention a few seconds to take this jumper off if you ever need to.

RJ


THIS WORKS ON 04' VRSCB and similar headlights....
 

Attachments

·
Not in EP anymore
Joined
·
1,693 Posts
Are there two seperate bulbs for the hi and lo? I know on my 06 NR there is only a single bulb.
 

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
Joined
·
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NightRod ELPASO said:
Are there two seperate bulbs for the hi and lo? I know on my 06 NR there is only a single bulb.
devlpr said:
There's an easier way to do this headlight mod that only works with the "A" headlights. Here it is:


http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69378


With pictures of the mod:

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68876


.
I thought it would be obvious this mod is meant for 2004 VRSCB and similar headlights... guess not. Thanks for correcting my oversight.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
6,248 Posts
devlpr said:
There's an easier way to do this headlight mod that only works with the "A" headlights. Here it is:


http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69378


With pictures of the mod:

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68876


.
Biker Bill said:
I thought it would be obvious this mod is meant for 2004 VRSCB and similar headlights... guess not. Thanks for correcting my oversight.
Actually both of the techniques discussed here that involve connecting the "blue" colored lighting wire to the "yellow" colored low beam wire will work with either "A" or "B" headlights (H11/H9 or H4 bulbs) to connect the low beam permanently to "on".

The "viper tap" shown in thread 68876 maybe easier, but it isn't the most reliable technique for motorcycle wiring.
 

·
Friend of Max.
Joined
·
21,719 Posts
Why does everyone keep listening to this RJ guy? He's shady, I'm tellin you.
 

·
1130cc Ninja
Joined
·
3,972 Posts

·
Scott
Joined
·
492 Posts
VenomousSVT said:
why is your way easier... its the same thing just tapping in at a different location... honestly tapping in at the plug would be easier because of the extra slack in the wiring.:chair:
Read all the posts...you'll figure it out.

.
 

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
Joined
·
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
devlpr said:
Read all the posts...you'll figure it out.

.
Alright enough is enough. No need to . devlpr, I got the idea from those threads. I just chose to use RJ's suggestion of using the wires behind the cover. Now let it go. This is posted in the how to section. Not in a "Lets put our :2cents: in to someones thread".:D
 

·
Scott
Joined
·
492 Posts
Hey guys (and the rest of you out there considering this mod)...if you think soldering two wires under the cover and hopefully wrapping them really well with waterproof electrical tape vs. a locking wire tap in the handle cover, also wrapped with electrical tape, is a better mod...by all means...solder away!

Either way you do it...DO IT!!!! This mod has saved my life twice this year at two separate intersections!!

.
 

·
I'm Bored
Joined
·
1,741 Posts
devlpr said:
Hey guys (and the rest of you out there considering this mod)...if you think soldering two wires under the cover and hopefully wrapping them really well with waterproof electrical tape vs. a locking wire tap in the handle cover, also wrapped with electrical tape, is a better mod...by all means...solder away!

Either way you do it...DO IT!!!! This mod has saved my life twice this year at two separate intersections!!
.

Just curious; how would you know that? After action review?
 

·
Scott
Joined
·
492 Posts
sgtrage said:
Just curious; how would you know that? After action review?

They were both on the cell phone (I was RIGHT in front of them) they started to turn braked suddenly and their front end dipped.

You know it when you see it!

.
 

·
1130cc Ninja
Joined
·
3,972 Posts
devlpr said:
Hey guys (and the rest of you out there considering this mod)...if you think soldering two wires under the cover and hopefully wrapping them really well with waterproof electrical tape vs. a locking wire tap in the handle cover, also wrapped with electrical tape, is a better mod...by all means...solder away!

Either way you do it...DO IT!!!! This mod has saved my life twice this year at two separate intersections!!

.
if you think that using a wire tap that will either eventually come loose due to the vibration of the motorcycle, or begin to dry rot (like all plastic does when exposed to weather, becoming brittle and breaking apart) exposing the small metal clip inside making an excellent source of conductivity to the inside of the METAL switch housing causing a direct short on not only your low beam AND high beam headlights causing either a simple popped fuse, a possible wire beltdown, or possible fire as well as your headlights shutting off, all whilst driving at night is safer than a real soldered connection that will be permanent taped well so that there are no wires poking through the tape then by all means do it his way. :soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox:
 

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
Joined
·
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
devlpr said:
They were both on the cell phone (I was RIGHT in front of them) they started to turn braked suddenly and their front end dipped.

You know it when you see it!

.
Don't forget to add your modified head light to your list of stuff in you signature...:hiding:
 

·
1130cc Ninja
Joined
·
3,972 Posts
devlpr said:
They were both on the cell phone (I was RIGHT in front of them) they started to turn braked suddenly and their front end dipped.

You know it when you see it!

.
so you are 110% sure, because you can foresee the future, that had you not tapped these two wires together you wouldn't be posting here now?
 

·
1130cc Ninja
Joined
·
3,972 Posts
Biker Bill said:
Don't forget to add your modified head light to your list of stuff in you signature...:hiding:
just so you know.... you signature SUCKS!!!!!
 

·
LOS ANGELES
Joined
·
1,755 Posts
Biker_Bill.. Thanks for the post. I may need to do mine this way.
 

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
Joined
·
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
VenomousSVT said:
just so you know.... you signature SUCKS!!!!!
Thank you!!:D
 

·
1130cc Ninja
Joined
·
3,972 Posts
Biker Bill said:
Thank you!!:D
:D

my god that fills up the entire page!!!
 

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
Joined
·
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Maybe some people will take a hint...
 
1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Top