Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So due to a story not worth getting into, I have replaced my throttle body assembly. I had been having some issues with the bikes performance etc and was going to replace the IAC motor anyhow. Since replacing the TB's, the bike idles @ like 2K? I have adjusted the cables, checked the IAC and all is good. Can't say the bike runs great because I keep throwing the CEL like crazy. Code says P0131 which I have searched, however think that there is a faulty ground or something somewhere, or it could be a bad o2 sensor as it suggests. Going to investigate that. Other than that, the bike actually performs well. Stock everything except; Trask/Intercooled, TMAX (all firmware is up to date). The only logical solution is the idle set screws and based on what I have read, I don't want to F with them unless that is what undoubtedly needs to be done. TIA for any rec's.

·
Autobanmod
9,896 Posts
spray fine water droplets to the area of your throttle bodies, if RPM drops as a result then it's false air entering the engine, ie broken rubber boots.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
"Since replacing the TB's"
This says it all! Check for air leaks. Code might be due to "out of range" for the O2 sensor.

·
Noel
4,603 Posts
Did you buy a street or destroyer TB?

If it's a destroyer, definitely need to adjust the idle set screw on the TB.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's the stock throttle body, 1130. I am awaiting new boots, there must be some sort of leak. When I press on the plenum, the idle will drop. Gonna spray tomorrow to see if I can get an idea of exactly where the leak may be. I've gona ahead and replaced all of the other hoses & clamps, and just got a new front 02 sensor too. We'll see.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
did you tighten the clamps on the throttle body?

this is the 2nd high idle I have heard of because of the tb not in the boot all the way.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
did you tighten the clamps on the throttle body?

this is the 2nd high idle I have heard of because of the tb not in the boot all the way.
yeah, even learned about over tightening the clamps first hand too. When the new parts get here, I'm gonna strip it down and check it all out.

·
caferacer
5,686 Posts

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So finally, all is good. My TB boots were cracked, and it took a hell of a bunch of BS to get it all sorted out. I was worried, as I heard pinging coming from the motor which I thought was a timing issue, or perhaps something in the rear cylinder. That turned out to be the wastegate actuator rattling at idle at where in enters the housing. Anyone else experience this, and if so, is there a fix? TIA

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
So due to a story not worth getting into, I have replaced my throttle body assembly. I had been having some issues with the bikes performance etc and was going to replace the IAC motor anyhow. Since replacing the TB's, the bike idles @ like 2K? I have adjusted the cables, checked the IAC and all is good. Can't say the bike runs great because I keep throwing the CEL like crazy. Code says P0131 which I have searched, however think that there is a faulty ground or something somewhere, or it could be a bad o2 sensor as it suggests. Going to investigate that. Other than that, the bike actually performs well. Stock everything except; Trask/Intercooled, TMAX (all firmware is up to date). The only logical solution is the idle set screws and based on what I have read, I don't want to F with them unless that is what undoubtedly needs to be done. TIA for any rec's.
I had the exact same problem a month back. I ended up sending my T-Max back to Zippers to have it checked. Sure enuff, the module was defective. They sent me back a new module and the idle and bike ran great, right up until I got rearended by a dickhead with no insurance :)

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
Stupid question on my smart phone:D:
Is High Idle same as rich tune?
Nope, high idle is caused by a too lean condition or more air. This can be caused by air leaks in the throttle body or the IAC motor is defective and allowing more air into the cyclinders then what is needed. Optimum AFR for an internal combusion engine is 12.5 to 1 or 12.5 parts of air to 1 part of fuel. More air without more fuel causes a lean condition ie. air leaks around the throttle body. If the engine is running too rich then the AFR is anything below 12.5 to 1 and will cause the bike to bog down at the top end, black smoke coming out the exhaust pipes and fouling spark plugs. Both conditions are not good for the motor but if you have to pick the lesser of two evils, running rich buys you more time on the motor... Lean conditions melt pistons and valves, bearings and seals etc... Bad jewjew...

·
Where's Max?
2,444 Posts
Code P0131 = front cyl lean condition... Don't ask me how I know :chainsaw:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts