Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can the handlebar electrical wires (wraped in gray vinyl) be inserted inside the handlebar? I have been told that only the HD drag handlebars has the capacity to acccept them.

Has anyone attempted to do it with the stock handlebars on a VRSCA?

Best regards,
:cool:

·
Petrolhead
414 Posts
The HD Dragbar is pre drilled so feeding the wires through is easy.
The internal diameter is the same as the stock bar, so if you want to drill holes in the stock bars you can run the wiring internally.

Be sure to smooth off the holes inside and out to prevent chafing.

This question came up on the other forum and I remember someone doing the work on their stock bars.

Personally I went with the dragbar.

·
just a ghost now
2,719 Posts
drilling stock bars

I drilled the original handlebars and ran both the control wiring and turn signal wiring within them in 2002. Its not difficult, I actually drilled the holes necessary and chamfered them on the bike, never actually removed the handlebars from the bike. I used a 1/2" bit, drilled in the "head" of the wiring indentation on the bars, then moved drill somewhat parallel to the bars to make an oblong hole, then deburred with a dremel tool. You have to obviously remove the wiring pins from the connectors, and use plenty lubricant such as WD 40 on the silver sheath, as they want to hang up. Biggest factor is to make sure you remove ANY burs and sharp edges in the holes you make, so wiring moves thru undamaged. I used a 50# dacron fishing line and SS wire to pull wires thru. I posted pics of this quite a while back on v-twin forums. I can e mail you the pics if your interested.

·
just a ghost now
2,719 Posts
Hey Max,

Check out the Febuary issue of "Hot Bike", just got my copy today via the mail, they have an article on a O2 sensor/ closed loop kit for the Delphi FI system. Its sold by Daytona Twin Tec LLC, it corrects air/fuel ratio on the run. Just mentioning it because you and others were discussing such possibilities. www.daytona-twintec.com

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
From what I read on there site it is still for the 88 twin cam but it is what this bike screams out for. That cures all the bad tunes and fouled plugs and rich and lean spots. I think I will shoot them an e-mail and see if they have plans on doing one of these for the v-rod. Thanks for the link.

Max

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank all of you for the response. My neighbor to his VROD to a local shop to have it done and was told that it was impossible to do it with the stock handlebars. I am glad to hear the good news. YES, I would love to see the pictures on this topic.

Max, thank you for the file attachment on this topic.

Best regards from Sunny Ft. Lauderdale,

VROD AL

Hope to meet all of you in Daytona.

:notworthy

·
just a ghost now
2,719 Posts
new controller

Max,

The article sure sounds like it will function with just about any late model Delphi FI system, they made like 10 HP more using the closed loop system versus the fixed map stock Delphi box, on a modified Twin Cam. Their box replaces the Delphi ecm, and allows ignition mapping as well. I bet some of the guys around here will be quite interested, like Mark for sure.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
I'll see if I can find a copy of the magazine it sounds worth reading up on. You just can't beat a closed loop system for fuel economy and horse power both.

Max

·
just a ghost now
2,719 Posts
VROD AL

Here is one pic, ur email address is unavailable in ur profile. You can see how wiring tucks within stock bar. Got more pics, just didn't want to load up the board with em.

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
So do the HD drag bars hide all the cables and wiring? or just the turn signal wiring?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Leon the HD drag bars hide all the switch wiring and turn signal wiring but not the cables.

Max

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
Max,
I too am going to email them.
Kaz,
You need to look into this.It has ignition retard,on/off limits for n2o.
It looks as tho this system is the next best thing.

sorry for being off-topic

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Vinny,

Damn you! Just when I thought I would be able to keep a few bucks in the bank you have to show me this link!!!!
:whack: :whack: :whack:
:broke :broke :broke
:thumb :thumb :thumb

Of course I may be saved, I copied this from the FAQ section:

Will the TCFI work with the older Marelli fuel injection system, the fuel injection used on new Buell® models, or with the V-RodTM?

No, the TCFI is specifically intended for use with 2001 and later H-D® models with the Delphi® ECU. The Delphi® ECU has a 36 pin connector. The older Marelli system has a 35 pin connector. Newer Buell® models use a small ECU with two 12 pin Deutsch connectors. The V-Rod uses a more complex Delphi® ECU with additional outputs and a link to the electronic instrument cluster. Due to the limited market, we have no plans to support these applications.

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
Mark,
I didn't read that into it.:(
BUT if the demand is there:D

·
Registered
214 Posts
Climax Cycle Bars

Have you guys seen the Climax Cycle Bars (sold on V-Mod)?

Am I seeing that price tag clearly... $2500 bucks! :yak:

[begin rant]

I can buy new skins for less which has a greater impact on the appearance of the bike. Not to mention the skins probably take 10 times longer to manufacture, paint, chrome finish, etc...

I love the looks. But wow! They need to make it available for consumption.

Sorry guys...

[end rant]

Attachments

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
Max , anyone else ...Where do I drill the hole at the bottom of the bars to get the wires to the cluster?

·
Registered
454 Posts
VrodG said:
Max , anyone else ...Where do I drill the hole at the bottom of the bars to get the wires to the cluster?
Two holes between the risers, facing the same way as the risers themselves. Have my old modified bars in front of me but my camera is at home.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts