Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
O-FNG
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back, somebody had posted on the forum that the swingarm was hollow, and wires could be run inside (thanks for the idea!!) I am mounting a sidemout license plate, with a Cateye brake light.The plate mounts to the lower shock bolt. Here is how I ran the wires inside of the swingarm:

1. Remove upper and lower belt guards
2. Locate hole for exiting
- This depends on proximity to wire route for lights
- I chose to enlarge the tiny drain hole at end of arm
3. Locate hole for entering swingarm
4. Drill holes 25% larger than diameter of wire bundle
5. Clean any burs off holes
6. Fish a string between the 2 holes
- Use metal hanger, fish tape, etc.
- You can take out the rubber grommet on the inner
side of swingarm to help with access
- This method takes a lot of luck, and a fair amount of cursing.

-- OR --

Preferred "wire fishing" method....Sucking!!!

You will need a vacuum with hose attachment, string, and a very lightweight plastic bag (ie: the plastic bags found in the produce department at the grocery). Cut the corner off the bag, leaving about 2 inches of plastic (keep the corner part, and get rid of the rest of the bag). Tie the string around the open part of the plastic, like a balloon. Push the "balloon" up into the hole at the end of the swingarm, hold the vacuum hose as flush as you can at the other hole....and start sucking. Make sure you tie the end of the string off, or you may pull it through.

Once you have the string through, tie on the wires and feed them back through the swingarm. See pictures below:

Attachments

·
O-FNG
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wires
- Use high grade electrical tape and wrap wires the entire length.
- Use black nylon braid (loom) the entire length.

I recommend using 16 AWG for longer runs, and runs with splices. 18 AWG will work well also, and 20 is fine for short runs with no splices - depending on the load from the lights.

·
O-FNG
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ubetyerazz said:
John,

That's an awesome idea - good work! Got a pic of your completed project?
Chris....I'll post a pic when it's all back together. My shocks are on a UPS truck somewhere from Skullman.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts