Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys n gals,

im new here, my names Mark, im 27 and come from North East, uk. I only got my dx on Thursday, been out on it today and wow i love it already. i changed from a Suz GSX650F and well i think sports bikes aint for me.

ive had to get the reach bars, pegs and seat.......yes im a short arse (or for the the americans ass, lol)

Im wanting to changed the headlight bulbs as it has a horrible yellow colour to the light, reminds me of my old TVR i had.

ive been searching the forum from thread to thread and are really confussed what to get. i know about the colour temps and what k number produces what colour.

Im wanting to change both low and high beam as ive noticed from alot of people just changing the low beam, and then both low and high look the same brightness.

I know that rockerdan was doing the dual bulb change but not sure what the end result was like and if it works well.

Any advice would be greatful or would it be better to go with new headlight all together

As i quite like this one from Ghost Rider

Would this bolt stright on or not.

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
41 Posts
I bought a ddm h4 hi/lo motorcycle kit. I've had a few problems with the bulb. Seems to go out every couple months so I bought an extra set (2 bulbs) to change out when it fails but they are under lifetime warranty so I always have light now even when I'm waiting on the return. The dx has a single bulb that is hi and lo. I can deal with the bulb issue though because the light from a 55w 12000k is just beautiful. Love it so much compared to the nasty yellow that was on there.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so with the single lo/hi kit, is the bulb a dual filament bulb?

When fitting the kit do you remove the low bulb and only replace the Main/High bulb with the kit?

What would the benifits be by running it with single bulb?

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
41 Posts
the dx only has one bulb. This is for hi and low beam. Its a dual filament h4. The kit replaces this bulb and adds a ballast for the hid. The hid is not a dual filament. It actually called a bi-xenon. When the hi switch is hit the bulb moves back in the housing it's in and changes the beam direction up higher on the road. Kinda weird but it works. The bulb doesn't actually doent get any brighter but it looks like it does if your lookin strait at the headlight and someone switches the hi on.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the dx only has one bulb. This is for hi and low beam. Its a dual filament h4. The kit replaces this bulb and adds a ballast for the hid. The hid is not a dual filament. It actually called a bi-xenon. When the hi switch is hit the bulb moves back in the housing it's in and changes the beam direction up higher on the road. Kinda weird but it works. The bulb doesn't actually doent get any brighter but it looks like it does if your lookin strait at the headlight and someone switches the hi on.
Oh right, all makes sense now. sure when i looked at the headlight it was 2 bulbs. will give that a check at the weekend.

Really appreciate the help Bran

·
Registered
41 Posts
some ppl do put a dual bulb headlight on from a different model v rod but I stuck with the single bulb headlight setup. I like the small faring on the dx and not sure if it would work with other model headlights.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bran you are right, its only a single bulb. there is another bulb in there but looks just like a sidelight or parking light.

would the car kits (H4 50/55w kit) fit the bikes so then i can have a spare kit. as the car kits seem to be the same bike or cheaper than the bike kits and comes with 2 seprate units?

mark

·
Registered
41 Posts
I believe they are the same. My wiring harness for the bike came with 2 outputs like it was made for a car but I only hooked up one for the bike. That would be a good idea getting the car kit and having a spare ballast and bulb. Idk about that extra small light. My dx doesn't have it. But it's an 07... Maybe they changed them on later models. The slim ballast kit is what I have but either wil fit in the airbox if runnin topless.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
idk about that extra small light. My dx doesn't have it. But it's an 07... Maybe they changed them on later models. The slim ballast kit is what I have but either wil fit in the airbox if runnin topless.
the "extra" small light is on euro models not domestic models. It serves as a "parking" light

1 - 9 of 9 Posts