Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear people putting HID on, but I have yet to see any pics or installations. I admit I am on the extreme side of 'lame' when it comes to mechanical skills...

I looked on the back of my Night Rod and the head light does'nt even have a case cover. All the connectors are out in the open and weather proof. How is that going to work when replaced with HID connectors?

I can't understand how HID can possibly fit on this model without changing the headlight model. I used one from the link below on my exRT and they worked well. I would like to get one for my 12 NightRod. But, If I dont see something clearly I cannot venture into it.

Can anyone SHOW how on a 12 DX? thank you!!

http://www.motorcyclehidlights.com/harley-davidson-v-rod-hid-lights-c-71_156

·
Registered
58 Posts
do a search for ddm... or ddm customs. i got my h.i.d.s from them years ago. great product and great price. just figure what bulbs u have and order them. it is real easy i did mine in about 15-20 mins. if i rember rite shipping is kinda high you might wanna talk some friends into ordering some also to reduce the price. just my 2 cents

·
2008 NRS
25 Posts
most hid lights are all connected together so you have to drill out the back side of your head light bucket so the light fits through then mount the hid box in your air box ,it plugs right into the original head light plug ..

·
Registered
58 Posts
the ddm kit i got had no drilling required....plug and play!!! ddm is the only way to go!! there are alotta reviews on this fourm abut them:soapbox:

·
Registered
135 Posts
the ddm kit i got had no drilling required....plug and play!!! ddm is the only way to go!! there are alotta reviews on this fourm abut them:soapbox:
I've got two V-rods, '09 Muscle and an '12 NRS (DX), the DDM kits run about $45 each and is are a plug and play installation and take about 30 minutes to do.

Here is a link to the DDM HID kit install.

There is also a Youtube video of these being installed on a Vrod by one of the forum members.

If you do a high & low beam HID install, you MUST splice the lowbeam to stay on at all times or you will be without a headlight until the high beam ballast warms up (5-10 seconds) which is about 500-1000ft at 60mph. Follow the link I posted and look at the photos on where to splice the wiring (very simple).

On both bikes, I installed the 55w 6000k bulbs. the light makes a world of difference at night.

·
Registered
962 Posts
hi nandou

i know why you are confused now as being to high low beam single bulb, headlight bowl etc.... hence your PM

the 2012 model has not got the headlamp cowl but the twin bulb old style headlight

when you say DX people will think you have the DX H4 headlight and cowl which was fitted to all DX's until the 2012 model hence the term headlamp "bowl/cowel" your model does not have this !

the 2012 model is way easier to install than the old DX cowl model , so the job is simple !

dont worry about connectors and how does it work etc... just order the dipped beam kit for now and it will all make perfect sense when you come to install, its a neat and very simple job on the headlight you have , much more involved on the old DX model !

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
really easy mod with the A style headlamp you have. If you can brush your teeth, you can do this too. :D

HOW TO video link below

https://vimeo.com/9982384

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nfn

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-35W-55W-Single-Motorcycle-HID-Kit

I looked this page...and they want me chose: Wattage, bulb and color.

Is my low beam an H4? I just want the white light and I don't want to put the super hot-bright on cause I think that may be too close to the front plastic headlight cover. I presume I need the 35W?

You guys must me tired of my stupid questions

hi nandou

i know why you are confused now as being to high low beam single bulb, headlight bowl etc.... hence your PM

the 2012 model has not got the headlamp cowl but the twin bulb old style headlight

when you say DX people will think you have the DX H4 headlight and cowl which was fitted to all DX's until the 2012 model hence the term headlamp "bowl/cowel" your model does not have this !

the 2012 model is way easier to install than the old DX cowl model , so the job is simple !

dont worry about connectors and how does it work etc... just order the dipped beam kit for now and it will all make perfect sense when you come to install, its a neat and very simple job on the headlight you have , much more involved on the old DX model !

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
nfn

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-35W-55W-Single-Motorcycle-HID-Kit

I looked this page...and they want me chose: Wattage, bulb and color.

Is my low beam an H4? I just want the white light and I don't want to put the super hot-bright on cause I think that may be too close to the front plastic headlight cover. I presume I need the 35W?

You guys must me tired of my stupid questions
You have H9 / H11 bulbs, go with 55W and 6000k color (colour for NFN :D )

Get one kit if you are doing the low beam, and two kits if you want high beams too.

I would recomend you look at the link I posted (page 1 and page 8 have photos) to see what wires you need to splice together to keep the low beam on. The 55W REALLY throw out some light and you will be amazed at how much farther you can see at night.

You're not going to melt the headlight and we're not tire of your questions. We're glad to help. We had the same questions you did at one time too.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You have H9 / H11 bulbs, go with 55W and 6000k color (colour for NFN :D )

Get one kit if you are doing the low beam, and two kits if you want high beams too.

I would recomend you look at the link I posted (page 1 and page 8 have photos) to see what wires you need to splice together to keep the low beam on. The 55W REALLY throw out some light and you will be amazed at how much farther you can see at night.

You're not going to melt the headlight and we're not tire of your questions. We're glad to help. We had the same questions you did at one time too.
I just ordered my kit from DDM Tuning, I ordered HIDBIKEDUAL. 55W - H11 - 6000K (called and they said H11 & H9 are the same bulb but the box will be labeled to correspond with what you order). Unless I am missing something, if you have Hi/Low, you can order just the Dual kit and get what you need.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I just ordered my kit from DDM Tuning, I ordered HIDBIKEDUAL. 55W - H11 - 6000K (called and they said H11 & H9 are the same bulb but the box will be labeled to correspond with what you order). Unless I am missing something, if you have Hi/Low, you can order just the Dual kit and get what you need.
I just checked out the DDM site. It seems DDM is now selling a dual HID kit. That is the one you need. They must have started that recently. If you need any help just PM me.

·
Registered
962 Posts
n437d is correct !

it will not melt your headlight !

go for 6000k this = pure bright white light 35w or 55w are fine your choice ? (i have 35w and am happy)

like above you have the old style v-rod headlight which is very easy to install HID , but you will have to be careful when asking for advice as many will advise you thinking you have a DX(2007-2011) with the full headlight bowl and cowl fairing , this is a completely different headlight and set up !

dont worry about asking questions thats how it rolls here and i have asked many in the last four years , glad to help !

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have their bulbs for both high and low. There were both H11 I believe. Plug and Play. No issues other than where to mount the ballasts. So I became topless since the install.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts