Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
41 - 60 of 429 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Definitely use a separate harness for the 55W, I have the 35W and I am thinking of using one anyway. I know I read it here somewhere somebody saying that even the 35W hid will overtime fry the stock harness, takes a lot of power to ignite. DDM has a harness too.
here
http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p=product&id=133&parent=94

Like I said in my first post Dan, I wasn't happy with the amount of light when I tried a 35W 8000k on the high beam, it was not better than stock halogen maybe even worse so using a 5000k with 35W or 6000k with 55W makes sense in the high beam, definitely!
now that i see that harness/relay.....why not go all 55 watt since there is no worry of wire melting with harness?....that would be very bright....

thoughts?
Dan

·
SpeedoDocter
2,364 Posts
@sammy
Sorry, did not know the US lens for A/AW had changed...I have two firstgeneration lenses here and there is a minor difference in the back reflector. Somthing i always thaught it wase easy to adjust for the factory making it safer ...the thing i disliked in my european one is the big pilotbulb in there at the bottom so i glued a blue LED in the top square vent hole of my DOT spec one...

Oh ... and yes i got paint :D

Rockerdan, the heat from two 55w hid bulbs is much less than two indescant ones..imho it wont harm the reflector but you need to pay attention always only one will start initialy (forgive my wrong words,i'm too lazy to check)

·
Dave
489 Posts
now that i see that harness/relay.....why not go all 55 watt since there is no worry of wire melting with harness?....that would be very bright....

thoughts?
Dan
Because you can turn off the high beam and not blind people, you can't turn off the low beam. Use the 35W for the low beam Dan. In the low beam the 35W kit is very bright with plenty of light. 55W is overkill for the low beam.

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Because you can turn off the high beam and not blind people, you can't turn off the low beam. Use the 35W for the low beam Dan. In the low beam the 35W kit is very bright with plenty of light. 55W is overkill for the low beam.
the low beam has that HOOD over it so i thought why not go brighter...since its aimed downward it shouldnt blind anyone....seems to me that if i use the good relay wire it wont burn anything up power wise.

but you think its just overkill?...

so would you just go 35 low without the harness/relay?...and 55 hi with the harness relay?

dan

·
Black Beauty
492 Posts
Once again, remember that the 35w is plenty bright enough. It is over 3 times brighter than a halogen. Think about the OTHER person - the oncoming cager who might have a hard time seeing beyond your bright headlamp and off the road on a corner they go...

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Ok just spoke to DDM again....this wiring harness/relay http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p=product&id=133&parent=94 has two plugins on each end(made for a car) so ONE of these items would allow BOTH HI and LOW to be wired thru it which will gets its power direct from battery....this is what I will do and never have the worry of melting stock wire harness.

I might be nuts but im gonna go 55 watt on both since ill be using the harness/relay....gonna go with 6000 LOW beam and 5000 Hi beam....should be crazy bright.....ill also have to wire the hi/low together RJ style...

ordering now
Dan

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Once again, remember that the 35w is plenty bright enough. It is over 3 times brighter than a halogen. Think about the OTHER person - the oncoming cager who might have a hard time seeing beyond your bright headlamp and off the road on a corner they go...

i totally understand....but they told me many people go 55 watt and the low beam on my bike i keep aimed downward....it does not hit eye level at all....this is why im thinking 55w for all.

Dan

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
ok...ordered finally!....LOL

here are the 3 items I bought from DDM

*$42.50-One H11(low beam)DDM 35W Single Motorcycle HID System(6000 color)
found here:http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p=product&id=105&parent=61

*$50.00-One H9(hi beam)DDM 55W Single Motorcycle HID System(5000 color)
found here:http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p=product&id=105&parent=61

*$20.00-One HID Accessory Wiring Harness(automotive style has two plugins,one for each bulb)
found here:http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p=product&id=133&parent=94

Dan

·
Registered
853 Posts
Dam!I just ordered two H11 55W 6000k bulbs yesterday(before reading this thread) not knowing I would have to screw with wiring.I wanted something slightly brighter than stock without doing any wiring,now these bulbs are useless to me.Is there any options as far as bulbs are concerned for plug and play?If not,is the hid kit pretty easy to wire up(I switched hadlight from B to A light)?

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Dam!I just ordered two H11 55W 6000k bulbs yesterday(before reading this thread) not knowing I would have to screw with wiring.I wanted something slightly brighter than stock without doing any wiring,now these bulbs are useless to me.Is there any options as far as bulbs are concerned for plug and play?If not,is the hid kit pretty easy to wire up(I switched hadlight from B to A light)?
not sure what you mean by BULBS.....but....

I started this whole headlight thing last week....and I thought id just be able to buy those cheapie XENON bulbs(2 packs) off ebay....i got a 55w(low-h11) and 65w(hi-h9) with the blue look....i went with same wattage cause i heard some guys went 80w and 100w with the xenon and it melted the plugins!

everyone learn from my mistake!...these xenon bulbs at the same wattage as stock(not to be mistake for true HID system) are horrible..they are MUCH LESS light then STOCK!!!....

true HID system has a ballast for each bulb....and is 3 to 4 times as bright as stock bulbs....

so anyone thinking about the xenon cheapo bulbs,dont bother...

Dan

·
Registered
853 Posts
Ah,thats exactly what I purchased.

·
1130cc is enuff 4 me
2,427 Posts
not sure what you mean by BULBS.....but....

I started this whole headlight thing last week....and I thought id just be able to buy those cheapie XENON bulbs(2 packs) off ebay....i got a 55w(low-h11) and 65w(hi-h9) with the blue look....i went with same wattage cause i heard some guys went 80w and 100w with the xenon and it melted the plugins!

everyone learn from my mistake!...these xenon bulbs at the same wattage as stock(not to be mistake for true HID system) are horrible..they are MUCH LESS light then STOCK!!!....

true HID system has a ballast for each bulb....and is 3 to 4 times as bright as stock bulbs....

so anyone thinking about the xenon cheapo bulbs,dont bother...

Dan
In my video you'll see when I turn on the High Beam. It's a blue halogen bulb & it looks terrible compared to the HID Low Beam. My buddy threw it in there because it looks cooler than a clear High Beam bulb sitting in the housing. It serves no purpose other than that. ha

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
hey guys....just thought id post these pics so everyone knows what a real HID system looks like as opposed to the cheapo XENON bulbs they claim are as good as HID,NOT!

CHEAP XENON(dont be fooled,these are basically halogen bulbs with blue tint!)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below is the DDM true HID single bulb system(this is the real deal with lifetime guarantee)

Dan

·
1130cc is enuff 4 me
2,427 Posts
hey guys....just thought id post these pics so everyone knows what a real HID system looks like as opposed to the cheapo XENON bulbs they claim are as good as HID,NOT!

CHEAP XENON(dont be fooled,these are basically halogen bulbs with blue tint!)

Below is the DDM true HID single bulb system(this is the real deal with lifetime guarantee)

Dan
This is what my HID kit looked like only I picked up ine from eBay.

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Rippie.....i think DDM is actually less cost then the ones i saw on Ebay,and DDM carries full lifetime warranty so i decided to buy thru them.....

they will arrive to me thursday of next week according to tracking...so Ill post up some pics when i install.

Dan

·
Dave
489 Posts
Rippie.....i think DDM is actually less cost then the ones i saw on Ebay,and DDM carries full lifetime warranty so i decided to buy thru them.....

they will arrive to me thursday of next week according to tracking...so Ill post up some pics when i install.

Dan
Yes, pictures please, I want to know how it goes and if you are happy with them. Be careful installing the bulbs in the headlight, it's actually easier to take off the headlight and than install the bulbs instead off trying to wigle them in there at an angle. I mean you can do it but it's not hard to break one of them bulbs, they are fragile. Ohh and don't forget not to touch them. When I was looking for hid's, I looked a lot of places, ddm had the best prices and lifetime warranty which no body offered. I don't know how good that lifetime warranty is, probably crap, but better to have that than nothing I guess. I was told ddm is actually the manufacturer, which is why they have good prices and a lot of other kits actually look like they are ddm's kits in different colors. Good luck with the install.

·
loud & low & solo
634 Posts
your gonna love HID man! i am in love with mine... crazy stupid bright at night... dont worry about a high beam... you wont need it! mine is from HIDconcept.com and its the 6000k kit so this is what yours should kinda look like... i say kinda because im using a projection setup... your is gonna be a lil different...

here it is..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiwWyZeT6dA

·
# 12/50 Ignite LE
2,913 Posts
Yes, pictures please, I want to know how it goes and if you are happy with them. Be careful installing the bulbs in the headlight, it's actually easier to take off the headlight and than install the bulbs instead off trying to wigle them in there at an angle. I mean you can do it but it's not hard to break one of them bulbs, they are fragile. Ohh and don't forget not to touch them. When I was looking for hid's, I looked a lot of places, ddm had the best prices and lifetime warranty which no body offered. I don't know how good that lifetime warranty is, probably crap, but better to have that than nothing I guess. I was told ddm is actually the manufacturer, which is why they have good prices and a lot of other kits actually look like they are ddm's kits in different colors. Good luck with the install.
:them: Yes, remove headlight and install the HID's. As far as warranty I have read they do have a slow turn around (couple of weeks) to resolve them. But the majority of the failures that I have read on other forums are found to be the OEM harness going bad. But fortunately that is a low number.

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
:them: Yes, remove headlight and install the HID's. As far as warranty I have read they do have a slow turn around (couple of weeks) to resolve them. But the majority of the failures that I have read on other forums are found to be the OEM harness going bad. But fortunately that is a low number.
DDM was slow but did honor their warranty in my case. I put the 35W 5000K in my BMW (stock headlight is $h!T, the HID is the $h!ZNIT!) and the ignitor went out after about 15 minutes. Sent it all back and got new returned to me in about 10 days. Good service IMHO.

If you accidentally touch the bulb, clean it well with lacquer thinner to remove all body oils.

41 - 60 of 429 Posts