Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my first post here, and have been doing my homework for the last while. Going to be picking up a new Harley this spring (trading in my car and making the full switch for riding full-time, going to be picking up a beater for the winter).

I was originally looking at the Fat Bob, but when I went down to the dealer today, he sat me down on a V-Rod Muscle, and I was honestly blown away.

I've always liked street bikes, and I've always liked cruisers. The V-Rod seems to be the answer to what I was looking for. I wasn't blown away until I was able to see it in person, and from what I can tell, the technical specs blow the Fat Bob away. (Though there's something to be said for that "classic" look).

Given the same price between a V-Rod and a Fat Bob, I'm really leaning hard toward the V-Rod now.

Couple of questions for you guys though. I've spent the entire evening looking around the forums and reading elsewhere as well, but a few things that I need to clear up:

I'm trying to decide between the Night Rod and the Muscle. As I've only owned a Yamaha Virago in the past, and I'm not much of a wrencher, please excuse me if any questions sound simple.

#1: On both bikes, having listened to the exhaust from youtube videos, the exhaust has got to go. I understand there are a TON of different exhaust packages you can get. Is there anything I should know when looking at them? I don't particularly need a performance boost (though that would be nice), I just don't want the bike to sound like ass out of the lot.

So even before I take it home, I'm probably going to get an exhaust put on. Do I need to do a full "stage 1" on it at the same time? I guess I'm just lost other than the fact I know I don't want the stock pipes.

#2: I hate the headlight on the Night Rod. The billet (is that what the "batman" piece is called around the lamp?) I just can't stand. Is this a "simple" mod that I can get done before I can take the bike home? This will be a deciding factor honestly. I like the overall look of the night rod better than the muscle, but I just can't stand that hunk of bat in the front.

Right now I'm looking at both bikes, and really like them both. I plan on using it as a primary commuter for work, and the occasional longer trip. I'm going to have to do something for a rear seat for my wife, but that's not something I'm worried about just yet.

I like the muscle and the night rod. I am leaning toward the night rod right now, as long as changing the headlight is relatively simple. Would love for a link to a post on this forum about it (I searched, and only found examples and not walk-throughs). And the stock exhaust has got to go.

Thanks guys for reading this. I'm so excited it's not even funny, now that I've really found a bike that completely speaks to me. Just deciding on the "little" things now. And I can totally see over the next few years taking some serious time and money and having a time of it with mods.

·
Registered
627 Posts
A lot of guys switch out the DX headlight and fairing for the A model black housing light. It is a straight bolt on deal. You just need the mount, the light, and the harness which are all readily available. There are also several aftermarket light setups out there that can be fitted without too much trouble.

If you change the exhaust make sure you run a 2 into 1 pipe otherwise you will lose power and a lot of torque. The Vance and Hines Indy pipe is a popular choice but you lose a little ground clearance. It does sound sweet though.

Good luck on your purchase and welcome to the forum!

·
boo
5,211 Posts
welcome. i'm biased toward the DX, of course

for the headlight mod - see here
http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90734
there are other options, but that's the one most people who ditch the "cowl" tend to use.

for pipes, well - there's a ton of options, as you say. most people will tell you a 2-1 pipe makes better power. most will tell you to change the stock filter for a high flow filter (there's a harley model, and a K&N model). for most of the pipe changes, you'll want a tuner (you can buy the "SEPST" from the dealer if you want, though there are other types out there).

but you can also just drill out the stockers at the ends to make them louder, if you like the looks of them. do some searches in the DX section on pipes.

as for the muscle, well someone else will have to advise you. i don't like em much.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I own a 2011 dx and I hated the exhaust so I went with the V&H comp series 2-1 system. I checked out both models when I bought the dx the rear seat is better for 2up riding but you will probably want change the shock settings. I adjusted my shocks up two notches and it helped the handling and 2up riding. The stock setting from the factory wasn't to good. The bike would bottom out easy but adjusting them up took care of that problem. The V&H system I have is a new design and it set a little higher than the older indy design so scraping is not an issue for me. The seat on the dx was more comfortable to me than the muscle. The passenger part of the seat is wider on the dx and is more comfortable. If you can afford it get the stage 1 kit it will make a world of difference on the bike. I like my headlight so I can't tell you anything about it. I am very happy with my dx it is the bike I always wanted after I seen it. I actually went to the dealer to buy a superglide but they didn't have the color I wanted. So I looked around the dealer and saw the muscle in the white hot denim. It was a sharp bike and I liked it at first. Then I looked around a little more and ran into my bike dx. It was everything I liked about it til I looked at the exhaust and hated that. So I did the stage one kit and added stage two cams and wow I loved it. I had the bike dyno-tuned before I took delivery. I couldn't be more happy with the bike now and plan on keeping it forever.

·
2009 VRSCAW
272 Posts
One thing to consider unless you plan on keeping the bike for a very long time is resale value. The VRSC bikes will plummet in value where the traditional air cooled, big twin models tend to hold their value better.

·
Registered
727 Posts
One thing to consider unless you plan on keeping the bike for a very long time is resale value. The VRSC bikes will plummet in value where the traditional air cooled, big twin models tend to hold their value better.
+1 most people automatically think if it is a vrod that it has been run to death. So they do low ball you on the resale but if you have service records and other receipts shouldn't be too bad. You will lose on the bike regardless. I plan on keeping my bike forever so I ain't worried about the resale or anthing like that.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Unless it is a Roadking...I lost a ton last year:barf:

You will take a bath on any new bike you buy so just get one that you like.

·
Livin the dream
261 Posts
The DX is a sweet bike. So much you can do with it. Someday it will be my 2nd toy.

Welcome to the forum! Nice to see another from NE on here!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What part of Mass???

:vrodforu:
I live in North Central, just south of Nashua NH really.

That headlight mod thread. Wow. That's exactly what I'd be wanting to do. The DX (night rod) looks amazing with that little change alone, sets it back to a more traditional look and I love it. I know some folks prefer the stock cowl, but hot damn.

For those of you who might want to see what I am talking about, this is a good pic of what's in the other thread:

Right now I'm pretty much sold on the Night Rod. Now it's just figuring out financing so I can see how much I can afford off the bat as far as modifications go.

I'm trying to figure out what exactly I would need to do. I basically would want to switch the exhaust (or potentially slip-on's) and I'm trying to teach myself about it. Do the headlight swap... and then I'd be pretty happy out of the gate.

I was reading this article on stage 1: http://www.harley-performance.com/stage-1.html

It sounds like if I want to change the stock exhaust (which I'm not fond of the aluminum) that doing a full stage 1 would be the best bet. My only question/issue is going to be cost I think.

Hoping to get payments around $200 a month for the bike (looking at a 60 month loan with a car trade-in), and things keep looking like they are adding on. Well, as long as it's less than $300 a month, it'll keep the wife happy.

Also, depending on how much my wife decides to ride with me, going to look at seats in the future.

Man... just so much good stuff out there, and information I WANT to know more about.

Is there a quick link explaining the technical names of the different bikes? I've caught that the DX = Night Rod... but I'm still a bit lost otherwise.

Getting the bike is something I'm honestly not really worried about resale with. I plan on having this for a VERY long time, and really just going about making it my own. It's going to be a personal life investment.

*edit* I figure I'd note I'm 26. So reading around, I fall under that "generation Y" era of "want to be" harley owners. Ever since I was little I've grown up around bikes (my father was a Norton guy) and I've just always wanted a Harley. Got the approval from the wife (who grew up around Harley's) and that sold me on doing it.

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
Buy used and save a ton. Low mile DX are all over. Headlight mod = 200 bucks. Drill your stockers (or, buy your bike, PM me when you are ready, I will drill a set of DX mufflers I have, and swap you for the price of postage and a bottle of Jack), and enjoy. Welcome! Joe

·
Chillin' the Least
525 Posts
Someone Young AND Smart!!

I am happy to hear that someone under the age of 30 Want's to buy a Harley :) But remember Young Grasshopper.... It's not Really a Harley, It's a Revolution :vrod: Welcome, Yer Gonna Love It!!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am happy to hear that someone under the age of 30 Want's to buy a Harley :) But remember Young Grasshopper.... It's not Really a Harley, It's a Revolution :vrod: Welcome, Yer Gonna Love It!!!!
haha. As much as I'm sure I'd love a Fat Bob or Fat Boy Lo, there's something that spoke to me about the V-Rod when I was actually able to sit on one at the dealer. And hell, even the wife liked it better and said she'd rather be riding behind me on that.

Now's the time when I really decide between black and chrome, Night Rod or Muscle :D and really, it's tough, because both options are so great.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Buy used and save a ton. Low mile DX are all over. Headlight mod = 200 bucks. Drill your stockers (or, buy your bike, PM me when you are ready, I will drill a set of DX mufflers I have, and swap you for the price of postage and a bottle of Jack), and enjoy. Welcome! Joe
Yeah, it's just about financing really. I can't just out of pocket this one. No kids yet, and saving for a house, but I need /some/ sort of fun in my life, and the wife gave the okay for a bike.

None of the local dealers can seem to keep a DX in stock.

·
Registered
527 Posts
:them:

This is good advice...you have plenty of time so search all of the dealers for used. I just grabbed a 2003 bike with under 2500 miles for less than $8K. I am sure that you can find a DX for short money.

Good Luck:cheers:

·
Registered
480 Posts
Get yer bike and ride before ya pull the trigger on mod's and end up with a garage full of part's that you can't get 30% of what you paid ! Start out moddin yer own pipes a bit at a time.Keep yer eye on the classifieds for yer headlight part's.Spend $65 on a manual and do the easy stuff yerself.Do you really wanna pay interest on parts fer 5 years? Once you start ridin regular your goin to start noticing stuff on other bikes much more and get way more ideas.A bad case of the IwishIwoulda's can get spensive fast,not that I would know personally,it was a friend,really.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Funny you shoild mention that. There's an article in HOG about the influx of 18- 26 year olds buying Harleys over other makes.
Ed

1 - 20 of 33 Posts