Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings - I noticed the stock Dunlops on my '02 are worn is a seriously uneven manner. The tread on the left side is almost gone. Unlike most people's cupping/scalloping issues, the rear tire is worn much more unevenly that the front, but the front is still uneven.

I thought my rear tire was out-of-alignment. But the bike handles wonderfully and does not drift to one side if you let go of the handlebars. Does anyone thing I might have an alignment issue? Searching the forums hear makes it sound like the Dunlops themselves are the problem.

The tires have over 6500 miles on them and I have put the last 2000 (pretty hard) ones on them. Most of my riding is mountain twisties and I do enjoy an... ahem... open throttle.

Question: Assuming I do not have alignment problems, what would be a good tire to replace the stock ones with? I've used Metzlers on all my sport bikes and been happy with them, but some seem to think they don't wear well or that Avon Venoms are 'better'? What about Bridgestone?

I understand what's good in one situation (long-wearing in stop-and-go traffic) is not necessarily good in another (high-speed corners in the hills). Since 80% or more of my riding is in the twists and turns, I was wondering what has worked well for other riders in the past. Thanks!

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
I have the Metzs on my later, 240 rear, bike, and I'm happy. They seem a little hard though - like you, I ride a lot in the twisties. I'd rather they wore out sooner and gave more grip.

The Bridgestones are supposedly rock hard, so they may be good, but not, I think, for thee and me.

Lux, who also rides canyons, swears by the Avons, and I'd guess those would be the best choice (can't get them here).

You could also consider Pirreli (can't seem to spell them today). I have no view on them, simply don't know.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts