Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Land Pilot
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that cooler weather has finally arrived here in the deep south, my Tmax won't let the bike idle when cold. Granted I've only been able to ride it a couple of times, but with the temp below 50, I have to hold the throttle open to keep it running or it just dies. It does die at least 2-3 times prior to catching and running.

I think it's seriously time to throw this goddamn thing in the trash.

:soapbox:

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
have you tried doing the "Initialization" thing again?
On for 30 secs, off for 30 secs, for three cycles....

·
RIP Jerry
956 Posts
My bike was apart for couple months (temp was in the 90's)and when i got her back together (temp in the 50's)it ran kinda funky for a few min but went for a ride and it smoothed itself out.. but it still idled.

·
Land Pilot
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
have you tried doing the "Initialization" thing again?
On for 30 secs, off for 30 secs, for three cycles....
I did, but that hasn't cured it. I imagine it will take reloading the basemap again to clear it up.

temporarily...

·
Land Pilot
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My bike was apart for couple months (temp was in the 90's)and when i got her back together (temp in the 50's)it ran kinda funky for a few min but went for a ride and it smoothed itself out.. but it still idled.
Once mine warms up a little (maybe 30 seconds) the idle stabilizes, until then you have to keep your hand on the throttle.

When the temps climb above about 65, this problem disappears.

·
TURBONATOR
1,366 Posts
Check your iac blocks in the temp range you are having problems. I am guessing they don't have enough steps for the temp.

·
Fat and Fast
223 Posts
I agree with lane...

·
Land Pilot
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check your iac blocks in the temp range you are having problems. I am guessing they don't have enough steps for the temp.
thanks lane, I'll check it after thanksgiving...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Don't know which map you're running, but I was having all the usual problems( idle-ran great with newly loaded map then went to crap........bike detuned after a while etc.) Iwas really frustrated UNTIL I tried the new #550 map. All my problems went away. Loaded the map, initialized, DID NOT run IAC, good to go. Oh, and changed the IAC home stop to 90 from 65, wouldn't start at 65.

·
Ride safe!
680 Posts
After reading about these problems with the Tmax, would you guys that have them still buy them. I'm still trying to decide on which tuner I'm going to go with and really like the idea of avoiding the dealerships dyno.

·
TURBONATOR
1,366 Posts
After reading about these problems with the Tmax, would you guys that have them still buy them. I'm still trying to decide on which tuner I'm going to go with and really like the idea of avoiding the dealerships dyno.
I myself would have another one, It works very well with turbo.
I'm not saying its perfect, problem free, They all have their pros/cons. It may or may not take a few adjustments to get everything set up right after correct map installed and probably have to send map in to James or look yourself on puter to see how the map is working with your particular bike. They all run alittle different and possibly needs some fine tuning. Autotuners only have so much adj. before they are maxed out and you have to tweak alittle for it to tune some more.
If you don't have any patience at all and expect it to tune within a couple of miles after a change to motor/exaust etc. then this system will not be for you. It takes some time and miles to tune these things to full potential.

Just a side note, TMax is not the only one that has had problems with autotuners.
Hope this helps in your decision.

·
Fat and Fast
223 Posts
I would have T Max purchased again, I agree with Lane, it is not perfect, and has its flaws but I am very happy with it overall. A little patience goes a long way with the T Max.

·
RIP Jerry
956 Posts
:them: Installed mine and just rode it without any of the BS others have went through. Its a mystery why some run well and others have nothing but problems.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I would do the Thundermax again. 90% or more of the issues I've had have been self inflicted. With the new "Optimizer" built into the tuning software, it's even easier and better than when I first started hacking I mean tweaking the tune.
Moving from hilly PA to flat OH to dry hot CA, if I would have had any other tuner I would have needed a dyno tune for each of those moves to the tune of $200 each... No thanks. I'll take the infrequent self induced headaches over wasting a day at the dyno every time.

·
VRSCDX Comuter
392 Posts
Not sure what I would think not having a TM and reading all comments and threads on here...however, with what I know I'd go TM again...

Must say that the #550 map was what really did it if for me even though I was content with my previous map...

·
SpeedoDocter
2,364 Posts
:them:

there are more treads of tuners starting with a rant. I fully understand i would pull my hairs out too if i had this $hit but like a few others mine worked fine from the start for the last two years. OK there are a few minor things but cold starts are fine and wharm idle too...

would i buy it again... yes, inmediately.

I always ride directly after starting keeping low revs. second i do not slow down by closing the trotlle a little but always fully closed.. it's a habbit..and it sounds nice topless airbox..

·
"WJ"
146 Posts
Question. After downloading the #550 map, do I need to run Auto Map everytime I put more mileage into it? Why should I not run the IAC? Thanks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I put a little over 100 mi. on after loading the #550 map, and checked the learned adjustments against the original map curves. They were pretty close so I also checked the T Max Control center and it advised me to run auto map mostly for rear cyl adj. Put another 100 mi on, ran auto map again and it looks like it will be dialed in. Didn't run IAC following other members advice, I would try it without running it first, then after if the bike didn't idle well. Yes I would by T MAX again.

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
No question, I would buy the T-Max again and have... 90% of the problems people experience with this tuner come down to two things...

1. The module is defective in which case the vendor will replace at no cost within the three year warranty...
2. People either won't or can't read the 150 page manual for working with this tuner and follow directions...

I have three bikes with the T-Max tuner with only minor issues... Some we're my fault for not following directions, others the module was bad and was replaced no questions asked by the vendor... These things are not miricle workers, they are not the best thing since sliced bread, they don't have a magic wand that will "fix" your motorcycle with the click of a button on a lap top... They are a good tuner... There are others out there just as good, some say better but with all tuners, you need to read the manual, follow the directions and realize that the motor is not 100% tuned no matter what tuner you go with... The only guaranteed 100% tune is on a dyno with a "tuner" that knows what he's doing...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts