Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm new to this forum and looking for help. I baught an 06 vrod with 8300 miles on it. Rode it for around 3 month and the oil light came on. And I know I should have checked it. But it was about a quart low. I took it home put the amount in it, fired it back up. Ran for 2-3 min, and died. Now it won't torn over. I can't even spin it with the spark plugs out. So now I'm looking for a replacement engine, or a mechanic, I'm in northern Ohio. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
Sounds like it's seized. You're in for a complete tear down if you want to fix it (If it's even fixable - as long as the cases aren't trashed you may be able to salvage it if too many parts weren't damaged).

When the oil light comes on there is a ridiculously low (like 5PSI) oil pressure. Since you say you were only a quart low, that suggests that either the oil pump failed or was blocked by some debris of some sort.

There are several good Ohio V-Rod people on here that may be willing to help - I'm sure someone will give you a yell shortly. There is also a member here (Frank, Bad V-R) that sells a 1350 crate motor that is very well built.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply.
That's kind of my thoughts on it. Seized, and rebuild is a chance at best. I'm wondering what a built engine would run me? I should be able to do the swap myself. Seems like a waste to not put another engine in it. But if I'm gonna spend the cash I'm the type of person to "go big or go home". My only concern is will I be able to find a narrow frame engine. Being an 06 I don't know how available it will be. The 1250 engine will not fit if I understand correctly.

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
V-Rod engines are all the same case size. The change from an 1130 to a 1250 was just a cylinder displacement change.

·
james
601 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply.
That's kind of my thoughts on it. Seized, and rebuild is a chance at best. I'm wondering what a built engine would run me? I should be able to do the swap myself. Seems like a waste to not put another engine in it. But if I'm gonna spend the cash I'm the type of person to "go big or go home". My only concern is will I be able to find a narrow frame engine. Being an 06 I don't know how available it will be. The 1250 engine will not fit if I understand correctly.
narrow frame engine??? i think all vrod engine are interchangeable but i am still learning... ebays has a couple engines...

·
Registered
655 Posts
Now I want to hear more about these built crate motors and what they run $$$ from Bad V-R.Does he have a site?Nice to know there is a modified drop in motor out there.:stilpoke:

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea def gonna need a price.

As far as the size. I understand the displacement difference. Where my concern lies is with the mounting. I was told that that the mounting is deferent on the 240 tire bikes than on the 180s. Any input on that?

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
All of the engines are interchangeable.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
first off welcome aboard and hide your wallet. next, where are you located in O-H-I-O!!!!! then pm rsc he is the local guru and a great guy. he can help you out and point you in the right direction to go before you drop awhole lotta coin on your bike. if you want to go turn key built engine badvr is the way to go. or if you want to spend alot more coin hit up ohiovrod and have scott build you a monster just my opinion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Red, I just want to ride. I have a 08 cbr, I don't want to get rid of it but it's an option to get the vrod up and running. If I go that route it's gonna be the biggest badest loudest vrod I can come up with. But honestly I just want to get it running again.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts