Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i changed my oil. everything was going smooth until i had to put plug back in i tightned it but now it just spins when i try to tighten all the way.did the first time i tighten it to much?i mean i really did not tighten it that hard when i took it off it was alot harder.did i strip the plug {hopefully}did i ruin the oil pan where the plug goes in?damn some advice or whatever would help thanks

·
Tie One On
1,644 Posts
There have been many people here with this same problem. Do a search and you will find the answers. I cannot remember what was done to fix this. I think some have taken the pan off and retapped to a new size and others have put in a helix coil insert (I think this is what is is)

·
Premium Member
11,284 Posts
The plug is a little stiff when removing it. It does sound like you stripped the oil pan threads. The threads are a bit fragile. You may be able to find a repair kit somewhere. I know they exist because other members have done so.
Sounds like you need to remove the oil pan and high tail it to Autozone for a repair plug. The torque value for the drain plug is 25.9 Ft/lbs which is not much.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what would be the safest,quickiest way to fix and where do i buy the pan gasket,plug.this sucks middle of summer trying to save some money changing my own oil and i strip the oil pan threads.should of just payed the extra money

·
Noel
4,585 Posts
You can get away with out a new gasket, but if yu want it go to your hd parts counter.

·
Registered
129 Posts
yeah they make oversize drain plugs you just buy them based on the size plug thats stock like a 12mm drain plug factory then you need a 12mm single oversized they are self taping they kinda like a tap and drain plug in one

if u cant find one shoot me what size you need i shoule be able to get my hands on one

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i used a 17mm socket for drain plug.where do i buy an oversized plug?and do i need to take the pan off to tap it?man im not very mechanical thats why im so pist because usally i would just pay to have it done but i wanted to change my oil and it was easy accept for the over tighting of the plug.and now i feel like its going to be a while because i cant just get in for an appt at harley or my local bike shop there booked for like 2 weeks.im screwed!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
anyone know the thread and pitch of the drain plug ?????

·
Registered
129 Posts
someone on here has to know what the thread and pitch is

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
trying to save some money changing my own oil and i strip the oil pan threads.should of just payed the extra money
Dealers have stripped them too!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dealership pickup

well i said screw it and i had the dealer pick it up. as i thought i stripped the oil pan threads and they said they ordered it i hope its not backordered or my summer is just about over.o and toatal cost out the door is 250 and thats with the oil i bought allready.what the f---!!!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts