Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, my VRSCF has 3500 miles on ever since switching to HD SYN oil at the 1000 mile service this thing has been drinking oil. I mentioned it to the dealer he filled it & told me to come back in 500 miles & they would see exactly how much oil it is using. I brought it in today after the 500 miles & it used just under a quart??? The dealer wants to rip the motor apart & replace the piston rings, after doing some reading on this site I think I might just need to switch to Amsoil oil & Filter?
What do you folks think I really dont want them tearing this thing apart if its not the rings just there oil!

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
well documented on here about bikes drinking SYN 3. Switch to Amsoil, Mobil 1 v-twin, redline, or other quality full synthetic and keep the RPMs high with lots of engine braking and your oil consumption will be a thing of the past.
I would go that route before allowing the dealership to tear it apart.

·
Banned
6,735 Posts
The Revo engine needs to be beaten to break it in. IMHO, new rings would just start the problem over.
Do a couple WOT launches or run it WOT up a steep hill. Then engine break a couple times. Change out that Syn-3 for ANYTHING else and then see if it drinks oil still.

I'd bet it doesn't.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice folks thats what I thought, just need to hook up with the amsoil dealer and I will go that route!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts