Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got the chrom HD no instructions and no bolts where are the chrome bolts??? anyone done this mod..??? I know eveyones V has had the head shke over bumps... D o need new bearing?? boy instructions with this part would have been nice.. Th manual ins't much help

anyone MAX ? ... who could shed some light but be great

THX

·
Metal Guitarist
5,201 Posts
i have not had any headshake yet, did you ever notice a clunk sound from the front end?..HD first came out with the wrong torque specs for the head stem is my understanding.
if i were you i would go ahead and replace your bearings aswell:2cents

·
Old Guys Rule
1,279 Posts
I did the chrome triple tree and had to purchace a seperate chrome triple tree bolt kit. They are always nipping you in the wallet aren't they. I believe Ace Hardware carries that size of chrome bolts. At least in Portland they carry a large selection of chrome bolts for Harleys.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
do you have the HD part number ???.. Nickel and dime to death I know... The parts book list the bolts coming with the kit??? ..none in my box??

·
Old Guys Rule
1,279 Posts
I don't have the part number but just call HD parts and ask for the chrome triple tree bolt set. OR if you have an Ace Hardware close by, take in your old bolt off the triple tree and they will match it up.

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
The lack of useful instructions that come with parts such as the chrome triple tree is Harley's way of saying that they think that it is best installed by a dealer or professional technician. They are concerned about the liability that could ensue if someone followed their directions, did it wrong, and ended up killing themselves or someone else as a result.

The procedure for removing and reinstalling the entire front fork assembly is set forth in the Service Manual. I would suggest you get one of these before attempting the installation yourself.

Of all the fasteners on the motorcycle, I can think of few whose failure could have more terrifying results than those that are to be found in the triple-tree assembly. For that reason, I would absolutely recommend against replacing them with anything bought at a local hardware store etc. Critical fasteners such as these should only be purchased from suppliers who are familiar with the unique requirements of the motorcycle in question: Gardner-Westcott has both an extremely wide selection of chrome and other specialty fasteners, as well as a technically proficient staff.

Excellent articles on fasteners in the motorcycle application can be found here or here . I would read both before replacing a single fastener on your bike.

·
Old Guys Rule
1,279 Posts
FYI....The HD Service Dept gets chrome bolts at our Ace Hdwd if they dont have them in stock. LOL. They specificly carry chrome bolts for the purpose of replacing HD bolts. They are high quality and a certified grade. They are just as good as the bolt kits from HD or other aftermarket products.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts