Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,
I have had the OMP Golf club style mirrors on my bike for a few months now. Unfortunately, the right hand side keeps loosening up. When attempting to tighten the Allen bolt, I botched / stripped the threads.
I attempted to chase the threads with a tap, however, I have had no luck. The metal is really soft. Has anyone had any experience with HeliCoils?
Do you think it will work? Any other product recommendations?
Thanks in advance for the help,
-John

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Helicoils are very easy to use and work great for the repair of threads. They will probably be stronger then the original threads were.

A helicoil will come with an oversize drill bit and tap the size of the coil to be installed. Simply drill and tap it and then use either a pair of needle nose pliers to grab the bottom bar of the coil or you can purchase the special tool to install it and screw the helicoil into the hole. Then it is the same as it was original except the helicoil thread is much stronger metal.

Max

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Max said:
Helicoils are very easy to use and work great for the repair of threads. They will probably be stronger then the original threads were.

A helicoil will come with an oversize drill bit and tap the size of the coil to be installed. Simply drill and tap it and then use either a pair of needle nose pliers to grab the bottom bar of the coil or you can purchase the special tool to install it and screw the helicoil into the hole. Then it is the same as it was original except the helicoil thread is much stronger metal.

Max
Thanks Max.
I will give it a try. I have always heard about them, but never once had the opportunity to try it out.
-Thanks again.
John.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts