Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m headed to sturgis this summer from Spokane Wa. It’s about 1200 miles. I want to put together a must have tool kit for the trip. Recommendations?

We will have a support vehicle following driven by my wife. But want to be prepared. Thanks.

What size wrenches. Hex keys. Etc.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Small world. I'm in the valley! Shoot me a PM if you need a hand sometime (I have a large shop fairly well equipped).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Help with what the different sizes etc that are recommended would be great. I don’t plan on heavy wrenching. But fixing or adjusting on the way may be necessary. She’ll get a clean bill of health before we go.

You can pm. I’ll send my email.
Small world. I'm in the valley! Shoot me a PM if you need a hand sometime (I have a large shop fairly well equipped).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Now that I have a idea of what they included. I’ll figure out sizes and put one together.
Harley has (had)a Vrod specific tool kit (harley expensive) in a roll up pouch.
Here is a pic of mine:

·
Registered
637 Posts
I’m headed to sturgis this summer from Spokane Wa. It’s about 1200 miles. I want to put together a must have tool kit for the trip. Recommendations?

We will have a support vehicle following driven by my wife. But want to be prepared. Thanks.

What size wrenches. Hex keys. Etc.
You wont need much if anything, Flat tires are the only concern. Because if anything fails u probably wont be able to fix it on the road.
The only thing I can think of is an oil leak or a throttle cable. And if u have a trailer that would be the best just in case. Because the thing is to heavy to p/u although w/ some help we put it in a pickup. It also depends on how well its been maintained.

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Just bring your wallet full of Benjamins ! That fixes everything ! - with the wife behind you ( pull a small single bike open trailer ) and a tool box of common tools and you won't need any of it. As said make sure you give the bike a really good once over, fresh oil, coolant, brake fluid be sure tires, battery are fairly new ( less than 5 years ) check belt, brakes, wheel bearings, tightness off all attaching hardware, etc. etc. and you'll be fine. If not, scoop it up on the trailer and motor on to Sturgis with the wife reminding you how much better it is with you in the support vehicle to talk to. Like knight rod rob says if anything else breaks you probably can't fix it on the road. I carry a tire puncture repair kit with the thin needle looking sealing plugs for motorcycle tires, with the CO2 to pump it up onboard my bike. Best of Luck !

·
Registered
26 Posts
A few (10?) years ago I bought a HD tool kit from Snap On tools. It includes all the Allen and torx bits, a crescent, a couple open ends, a ratchet and other items one might need. And zips into a small pouch. It’s snap on, so not cheap, but not cheaply made either. I’ll post a pic later when I can

1 - 10 of 10 Posts