Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Vrod-less...........
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a PCIIIr for my VROD. I Think the map I will have to run might be too Rich with my Stage2 ECM. Any tuning advice? How easy is it to adjust using the buttons? I`m running the Force shorties and the only available map from the PC website is for a Stage 1 with SE air filter.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
It's not really that easy to use the buttons unless you're trying to fix an obvious issue that you can recreate riding the bike.

Your going to be in a tough situation, the Stage 2 is richer down low than the Stage 1 but leaner on the top end (the Slip ons breath a bit better on the top end).

I hesitate to even suggest it but you could lean it out a little in the midrange (especially at part throttle) and fatten it up a little on the top end BUT you are really going to need to get on a dyno and have the PCIII programmed from day one with your configuration, there's no other solution other than having the Stage 1 map loaded in place of the Stage 2 map.

·
Registered
305 Posts
TBAG... Let me know how you work this out. I'm running the same config. I am also running the PC site MAP. I haven't gotten to a dyno yet but plan to do so shortly. I'll keep you posted if I discover anything worthwhile

Zeeman:cool:

·
Vrod-less...........
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Zeeman,

Are you already running the PC3r with the Stage2? How does it run?

·
Vrod-less...........
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check this out

Went by the dealer last night to discuss making an appointment to have the Stage 1 flash done. Dealer says I already have a Stage 1. ?? WTF. He told me when I had the pipes installed he did a Stage 2. Now he tells me that there is no Stage 2 available for a VROD. There are however 2 Stage 1 packages consisting of a Flash for the SE pipes and one for the SE Double Barrel pipes. He said the difference between the 2 Stage 1 flashes was minimal in fuel adjustments. There is slightly more restriction with the Double Barrels and it allows slightly more fuel. So in other words he says I should be fine with the PC3r and the Stage 1 map for the Force pipes. I should be getting the PC3r today and will install tomorrow. I`ll let you guys know how it goes.:confused:

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Your dealer is correct, there is not such thing as any "stage" flashes for the V-Rod. There are simply flashes for the different SE pipes and somehow everyone started calling the SE Slip On flash stage 1 and the 16GA flash stage 2.

He is correct that the 16ga flows less than the SE Slip ons at various points over the rev range but his analogy to fuel is wrong :eek: Less airflow = less fuel , period. The 16ga flow better down low and lower up top so it will be richer in the lower range and leaner in the mid to upper range. This means the MAP you have for the PCIII will be adding fuel where you don't need it and taking it away where you want it.

I'm not trying to make you spend more money but to get it right you either need the SE Slipon Flash (P/N 32026-02A) or some time on the Dyno. For a good PCIII operator you shouldn't need any more time than the cost of the new flash installed and the bike would be tuned to YOUR specs.

·
Vrod-less...........
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mjw930,

Thanks for the reply,

So I have another question. What if I use map M809-024 - Force slip-ons, Stock ECM and Screamin Eagle air filter rather than map M809-025 - Force slip-ons, Stage 1 ECM and Screamin Eagle air filter?:confused:

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
WAY too rich. You're better off sticking with the map made for the SE 16GA flash.

·
Vrod-less...........
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mjw930,

Thanks for the info. I`ll post my results when I get everything hooked up.

·
Registered
305 Posts
TBAG....
I went back and reread your first post and realized I musta been seeing things. My mistake. I thought you said stage 1. That's the config I'm running. MWJ930 had some good advice. I feel like I'm running pretty good now but I think I'll load the SE 16GA MAP and see what happens. This is all stop gap until I get to a Dyno.
Thanks MWJ930 for the recommendation.

Zeeman :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
confused

I have an '03 and I'm planning on running the PCIII USB with the SE airfilter,and SE slip-ons, topless. Now do I need the dealer to do a flash to the ECM or not. I thought that as long as I had the PC, I wouldn't need anything else :banghead:

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
jman,
you don't need the flash.

·
Registered
24 Posts
jman,

I am in the process of setting mine up the exact same as you, stock ecm
(PCIII USB with the SE airfilter,and SE slip-ons (v-modded), topless or top on dosen't matter)
I e-mailed chopper steve at v-mods and he said to use the 020 map and it will run great.
If your not getting your se slip ons v-modded then use map 004 and you should be good to go.

hope this helps
Jim

·
Registered
26 Posts
VRODV04 said:
jman,

I am in the process of setting mine up the exact same as you, stock ecm
(PCIII USB with the SE airfilter,and SE slip-ons (v-modded), topless or top on dosen't matter)
I e-mailed chopper steve at v-mods and he said to use the 020 map and it will run great.
If your not getting your se slip ons v-modded then use map 004 and you should be good to go.

hope this helps
Jim

Hey thanks alot it does help. I'm going to do the v-mod also. I'm trying to have everything sitting at the house when I get back from Kuwait so I can just set it up and roll.
You guys ROCK!!
JMANOUT!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts