Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping someone could help me. I just got an 04, and barely broke the 500 mile mark. At 1000 miles I was going to take her in for the mandatory dealer maintenance thing. At that time I'd like to have a few mods performed. So, what mods could I have the dealer perform. I'm thinking pipes, airbox, and efi remap should give me more hp/torque. What should I tell the dealer I want done? How much hp/torque should I expect from the mods? I know all these questions are probably answered in this forum, but after searching around in here I'm pretty much confused as which to do. I don't want to do anything to void my warranty (purchased the 5 year extended warranty). I definately want louder pipes. The stock pipes are way to quiet. I don't want obnoxiously loud pipes either. Any of these combos that will get me near 120rwhp, or at least make my butt dyno go WOW?

Thanks for helping out the new guy. I appreciate it.

·
V-Rod Addict
466 Posts
Go with the V-Mod pipes and SE Airfilter. If you want 120 RWHP you will definately need a Race Tuner. I've opted for the less expensive route and had the SE Flash done to change the A/F ratios. I've dyoned mine and pulled 113 RWHP. I'm not looking to pick up tons of HP. The V-Rod is fast enough for me!

As long as you have a good relationship with your dealer that won't void your warranty.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
120 rwhp without a lot of work, not gonna happen. Enough extra to make your butt dyno go WOW, real easy. All of the mods listed below are good for at least 10% improvement in peak hp and quite a bit more power in the mid range. Don't fixate on the absolute or peak numbers, work on getting the bike to perform better across it power band. That's what the SE parts will give you.

If you're concerned about the warranty then discuss the options with your dealer and make sure they will "cover" you with whatever you decide. Once that's done you have a couple of options.

Pipes:
1. Most bang for the buck, V-Mod your pipes (www.v-mod.com)
2. Most noise for the money with a pipe that the dealer shouldn't have a warranty problem with, SE 16ga.
3. Most performance in a dealer sold and installed package, the SE Slip Ons.

EFI changes:
1. Dealer installed flash for the pipes you decide on, this should be something your dealer insists on if he's going to warranty the bike. Any other option like the PCIII or the techlusion or even the race tuner will probably send your service manager over the edge, warranty wise. (If you decide on V-Mods then have the dealer download the flash for the SE Slip Ons. That's pretty close and with the dealer installing the flash he can be assured you aren't running too lean)

Other changes:
1. SE Air Filter (simply a must to allow the flash and other components to work as designed)

Like I said, take the time to talk to the service manager and the V-Rod tech at the dealership. Tell them what you want and let them provide the solution. That's the best way to develop a relationship with the service manager to prevent any warranty issues down the road.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I'll talk to them at the dealer tomorrow, and get a price on the work.

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
I got a set of Supertrapp V-5 pipes I'll sell ya.

·
If You Ain't Cav...
2,069 Posts
Other Ideas for the butt-dyno----
Remove the inner air-box cover (black plastic top of your airbox) and let her BREATH... next get a 28 tooth drive pulley... turns the jet into a rocket!
I have been focusing mostly on cost effective performance mods since the beginning and these listed with what Mark (MJW930) said have given me the most bang for my buck!

Mike

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
LENELSA said:
Vinny,
Why are you selling the Supertrapps ??

I just ordered mine, should be here by Tuesday...
I went with the TT's.

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
Frank Storms said:
Vinny,

Have you burnt your leg on your new TT pipes yet. No heat shield could be problematic.

Frank
Frank,it's still cold here.I got the chaps going.But I can tell you That leather burns real quick :ithappen: .When I am riding my leg is far enough away.But when I come to a stop and put my feet down,I need to watch the pipe.I am gonna make a heatshield.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts