Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I have a question I couldn’t find a definitive answer to so I’m sorry if I missed it and you’ve all gone over it already.

im installing progressive heavy duty stock height springs on my 09 DX and I was wondering if anyone can tell me in ounces how much fluid goes into the fork when it’s fully compressed and no spring installed. I’m using type E H-D fluid based onwhat I’ve read on here about ride comfort. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
HD don't specify a quantity of oil for the forks which is why you cannot find it. It is done by measuring the distance from the top of the stanchion to the oil level as you can see on this page from the manual.
As a rough guide start with 700ml and pump up and down to expel air. You can expect to use close to a litre per leg to get the 85mm.
Fork.jpg

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay I see what your saying. The instructions from progressive says to do the same thing but measure down to 150mm. So I went with that for the specific spring I’m installing. Pumped 10-15 times till no air bubbles were apparent. Got the caps back on.

It’s still on the lift unsprung...is it normal that the forks are now super tight? I know they’re heavy duty upgraded springs but I can’t get them to compress by hand, I put a Jack under the front tire and it doesnt compress. I’m not sure what/if I did something wrong.
Thanks for any help guys.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Okay I see what your saying. The instructions from progressive says to do the same thing but measure down to 150mm. So I went with that for the specific spring I’m installing. Pumped 10-15 times till no air bubbles were apparent. Got the caps back on.

It’s still on the lift unsprung...is it normal that the forks are now super tight? I know they’re heavy duty upgraded springs but I can’t get them to compress by hand, I put a Jack under the front tire and it doesnt compress. I’m not sure what/if I did something wrong.
Thanks for any help guys.
Doubt that you would be able to compress by hand. Putting a jack under the front tyre wouldn't move them either because you are pushing upwards vertically and not upwards in the fork direction. Put it back on the floor and push forward into the forks with the front brake on. I am sure you will see movement then. You did mount the front wheel and line everything up before tightening the tree clamps?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yessir I did. And I was hoping that was going to be the answer. Thanks for all your help I really appreciate it

·
Registered
17 Posts
Go to Dollar store and buy two measuring pitchers. Drain each fork into the container and take note of the quantity that came out. Clean the pitchers and add the same amount of new fork oil to the pitchers and fill the fork tubes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts