Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read all the 'How To' on changing out those ugle yellow lights in the dash panel. Not having much success in getting the lights to work. The first one didn't work. Tried number two. It lite the first time I tried it then after changing out another light, it stopped working. The next two won't work at all. Any ideas? I thought maybe electrostatic problems but tried one without touching it at all and still nothing. Does anyone have any experience with this?

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Make sure the polarity is correct. LED's are polarity sensitive.

RJ

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What?! That could be it. It said in the How to, that it didn't matter but that would make sense.

·
Premium Member
Pan American Son of VROD :-)
1,089 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, that must be the problem. So how can I tell which way they go? I didn't see anything that looked different from each contact side on the board or the light itself. Does it hurt the lights to touch them? There is something on the package that mentioned electrostatic issues.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Where did you order the LED's from? There should be a schematic that shows the polarity.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mouser electronics. No schematic just the lights came. I re-read the how to post and it does mention that the polarity needs to be correct so I'm sure that is my problem. I just need to figure out how to tell which way they go. Any suggestions!

·
Lover of Bikes
1,726 Posts
If you look closely at the internal construction you can see there's a difference in the two sides. I just arranged mine like for like and didn't have any problems. In this post there's a closeup picture of one of the original LEDs that shows there's a yellow line on one side which indicates the cathode side.
Hopefully you haven't already removed all of the yellow LEDs and can still do them one at a time after examining each orientation. If not you could use trial and error by plugging the unit in after installing each one to test it.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Beek, thanks. I did notice the yellow and blue strips under the lights. I didn't take all the yellow lights out yet. I'll check each one as I do them.

·
Registered Abuser
2,894 Posts
What are the specs on the LED's you are using? Do you have the part # and manufacturer name? I am interested in doing this myself.

Never mind, I found the "how-to" document, I am all set now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts