Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just didn't know where to post this, so if it's wrong I'll appologize in advance. But, I figured with the vast pool of H-D knowledge and experience here, I'd find the help I need.

I'm currently working on an '06 Street Glide with a Jim's Racing engine. It's my first time into an air head and I'm a little lost. Anyway trying to get at the drive belt so I can change it. I have the primary cover off now how do I remove the chain, sprockets & clutch so I can get the chain case off?? Can the clutch basket be removed as a unit or does it have to be disassembled? It's got a "racing clutch" with centrifugical assist. Any help is appreciated!

N

·
Registered
386 Posts
Not sure about the newer models but on my 97 the whole clutch basket comes out as one piece. Take the nut that holds front sprocket off, take the nut that holds the clutch basket off, loosen the chain tightner in the middle and everything comes out together.

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
give me a call at the shop if you want... 207-782-9400

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks abi, that's what I was hoping for. What's the trick for getting the compensating sprocket nut off? How do you hold it? And, what about the clutch. There's a small nut with a socket head bolt, looks like an adjustment, is that the one you have to remove to get the clutch basket out? BTW, the whold back end is off the bike, everything from the pivot shaft back is gone.

N

·
Registered
386 Posts
Thanks abi, that's what I was hoping for. What's the trick for getting the compensating sprocket nut off? How do you hold it? And, what about the clutch. There's a small nut with a socket head bolt, looks like an adjustment, is that the one you have to remove to get the clutch basket out? BTW, the whold back end is off the bike, everything from the pivot shaft back is gone.

N
To get the large front nut off you have to jamb something in between the chain and sprocket to keep everything from turning. They sell a small plastic step-like wedge but a small wedge-shaped piece of wood will work just as well. And yes on mine I had to take off the adjustment bolt/washer to get at a larger nut inside that holds on the clutch basket.

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
use a big air gun for the comp nut... the clutch nut is reverse thread...the basket is on a splined shaft....beware blocking the primary chain to lock the hubs...it can cause damage to the inner primary if done incorrect...

the clutch basket comes out as a whole assembly...you need the puller to get it off....

are you changing out the front pulley for the rear belt?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We're not changing out the front pulley. We're installing a trike conversion on this bike. Usually we do V-Rods or Jap bikes, this is our first big twin and we don't have much in specialized tools for them yet. The conversion on this one requires a longer belt. When you say a "big" air gun are you talking something bigger than what's normally used for tires?

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
We're not changing out the front pulley. We're installing a trike conversion on this bike. Usually we do V-Rods or Jap bikes, this is our first big twin and we don't have much in specialized tools for them yet. The conversion on this one requires a longer belt. When you say a "big" air gun are you talking something bigger than what's normally used for tires?
just normal size "big" air gun... really you can call my shop and I can talk you through anything you are trying to dis-assemble...

do you have the parts book or sevice manual?

they will help A-LOT...:D

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
cool... another 5 minute job.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts