Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings V-rodders,

I'm a new rider in Toronto Canada with zero motorcycle experience. I just picked up an 07 DX with 65k on the odo. l call her Sigian and she's such a beauty and she seems to also run like a dream!

The problem I have is this, I noticed a bit if a leak coming from the left clutch master cylinder metal hose (area). I suspect so because the fluid has eating off the paint work on that hose and the little drops that landed on the air box cover have also wrecked my gorgeous denim black paintwork. :(

The thing seems to be full when I look through the little round glass window on the side. I am hoping someone would be kind enough to advise me. I would greatly appreciate helpful pointers on:
  1. What this leak is
  2. What a solution/fix would be
  3. A friendly mech/garage in Toronto where I can take this to and perhaps, for something ongoing
Thanks a bunch for taking time to read this. Cheers!

·
Registered
2012 VRSCF
58 Posts
The screws could be overtightened. You literally just need to get them in and stop screwing when you feel them start to resist. Happened to me when HD had to rebuild the master cylinder (they over tightened) and I started to see the leak. Came here and was given this advice and it never leaked again.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Yup. The gaskets get distorted by over tightening. Pull the cap and give them a good look. And might be a good time to check/change the fluid too. I do mine every year and it still looks like mud...

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I couldn't handle that BS any more and modified the lid and went remote venting. I could only get close to it staying dry just short of 2 years for it's flush interval. Just about all the leakage comes from fluid migrating up the screw holes to the top of the gasket. From there it leaks out of the two notches in the cover. Those notches, I eliminated and came up with a tightening sequence that's repeatable. Special degree screw driver. Been bone dry ever since .
Ron

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yup. The gaskets get distorted by over tightening. Pull the cap and give them a good look. And might be a good time to check/change the fluid too. I do mine every year and it still looks like mud...
Yep! it does look like mud/rusty water. Perhaps I should look at getting it changed too. Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The screws could be overtightened. You literally just need to get them in and stop screwing when you feel them start to resist. Happened to me when HD had to rebuild the master cylinder (they over tightened) and I started to see the leak. Came here and was given this advice and it never leaked again.
I really should post a pic of the cylinder. It seems to be leaking out of around the sight glass, the bolt on the side or that metal hose that runs from it.
What do you reckon, should I give the bolt a turn?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for your suggestions. I really appreciate the love and support. I took a few photos just so you guys can see what I see.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Aha! Thanks a bunch Ron. I looked up the part. I'll order this asap and see if it's an easy to replace setup.

·
VRSC est -03
3,094 Posts
Include the copper washers too...

·
EXCELSIOR
8,554 Posts
HD and Brembo both amaze me. Most other manufacturers figured how to make non-leaking master cylinders ages ago and HD still sells these things that you can't overtighten without fear of leakage and the resultant ruining of painted finishes.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
HD and Brembo both amaze me. Most other manufacturers figured how to make non-leaking master cylinders ages ago and HD still sells these things that you can't overtighten without fear of leakage and the resultant ruining of painted finishes.
Yes it's a dinked up design that they forever persist on using. Main issue is the diagonal screw pattern. Second is the sealing area around the screw. While the diagonal pattern will work the seal around the screw is a short term seal regardless of how the cover is put on and snugged up. Eventually, slowly and surely fluid migrates up to the top of gasket surface. From there it travels along the top outside surface of gasket until it finds it's way out from the two vent notches in the covers. Had I not solved the weepage with drastic measures, as in that pic I posted, damn Honda cylinders would be on my bike right now. It pissed me off so much, it got to that point. This issue was with all the HD line, not just the v rod. Dumb fks. By the way, that torque method is a joke. Only screw contact to cover and x amount of degrees offers equal and exacting gasket compression.
That being on a new gasket , contact and 90 degrees. No less, no more.
Ron

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
Clean it all up with Alcohol as well, stops the paint peeling. You can touchup with fuel resistant Epoxy RC airplane modelling paint from a hobby store. I bought a new clutch master cylinder years ago it's waiting on the shelf for when mine starts getting weak and mushy on the pull of it. Lots of paint peeled off current one waiting till it gets a bit uglier then I'll install the new one. H-D's so damn stupid - can't or won't use brake fluid resistant finishes on their bikes I mean WTF do ya want for your new $ 45,000 S/E WhateverGlide - brake resistant finishes ? ? NO - Forget about it !! :mad:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks again. You guys stateside are blessed. HD canada for the life of me does not have an online ordering platform. I'm scratching my head wondering what good a website is, if it doesn't have ecommerce built in?
If the vrod wasn't such a delightful joy 🙃, I'd "Triumph" over to "Ducati". But there's something about the vrod. It's like no other tbh.

Calling the local HD dealership to see what gives.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just called the dealership and ordered in the Sight glass, o ring and washers. It may take a little over a week to get here but this is progress!

Thanks guys for the helpful pointers.

·
Registered
2012 VRSCF
58 Posts
HD canada for the life of me does not have an online ordering platform.
I have had to get creative...Amazon and Ebay have come in handy for some stuff. But the knowledge and support here (I'm in BC) at the local HD dealership has been less than stellar. Also found a former certified HD mechanic who works out of his home garage (which is an impressive set up) who does quality work for 1/4 or 1/3 the price and doesn't bill extra hours for the hell of it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts