Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an Aussie that is coming to California to ride for about 3 weeks, I was going to hire a vrod, but alas you can't. So now I am trying to see if I can buy a cheap vrod for around the $5,000-$6,000 mark to sell just before I leave.

Does anyone know of a mechanically sound older vrod that is up for sale ?

Or does anyone know where I am to start looking?:coff:

I know some will tell me it can't be done, but I am going to try so any any help would be good

:ride:

Regards

Julie

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Revised Plan - now looking for 2x VRods 2008 - 2011

Hey all :D
Have been all over e-bay, craigslist, and the forum and have shortlisted a few bikes in the $8-$12k range because just couldnt find anything in the older (pre 2008/1130) range that suited- Also worked out that good features would be
  • the 5gal fuel cell,
  • Nice pipes
  • ABS would be a good option.
So as the prices for these later bikes seem better value than the older ones now looking for either one of the following

• Muscle 2009-2011
  • NRS 2008-2011
  • AW 105 "Copper top" Anniversary
  • AW 2008-2011
Preferably with one or more of the following
  1. V&H or TAB or similar pipes
  2. ABS/Security
  3. Sundowner Seat or similar
  4. SERT/Fuel Pack or similar
  5. Back rest/rack (for Luggage)
  6. Panniers (soft or hard)
Preferably from within 500-1000 miles of LA (where we will be flying in to Early August) having said this we will look at any location if the deal is good.

Cheers

Juls:vrod:

I am an Aussie that is coming to California to ride for about 3 weeks, I was going to hire a vrod, but alas you can't. So now I am trying to see if I can buy a cheap vrod for around the $5,000-$6,000 mark to sell just before I leave.

Does anyone know of a mechanically sound older vrod that is up for sale ?

Or does anyone know where I am to start looking?:coff:

I know some will tell me it can't be done, but I am going to try so any any help would be good

:ride:

Regards

Julie

·
Banned
4,421 Posts
You can try the H.O.G. fly & ride program, you should have no problem renting a vrod if you book it now. Are you riding in CALI the whole 3 weeks.

·
Vagrant
224 Posts
You can try the H.O.G. fly & ride program, you should have no problem renting a vrod if you book it now. Are you riding in CALI the whole 3 weeks.

Yes will be in Cali the whole time looks like such a great place to ride and explore some of the great Roads there, we initially looked at doing the whole Route 66 cliche tourist thing then found that it wasnt really the most fun we could have in that short period of time. Found a website/forum called Pashnit.com that has heaps of ride reports all over CA. and that really clinched it for us. Doubt that 4 weeks will be enough to see even 20% of the places we have on our list let alone the ones the locals we are yet to meet will tell us about.

our preference is to book a night or two in B&B's and meet the locals (not just hotel staff but real people) then see where the roads lead us in between those places , all still fairly loose at the moment but trusting it will all come good in the end :)

HOG fly ride is OK but... A) try to find a dealer that has anything other than a road king or big twin..... Then try and find 2x at same location..... B) the cost of renting/ins waivers etc is about the same as buying and selling with the upside potential of paying slightly less than renting if we strike a good deal on each end..
Plus this way we get to choose a bike we like that has the features we like and importantly a bike with a decent set of pipes!

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts