Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all,
I'm looking for some advice on how to correct a big problem I'm having with my 2002 VRSCA. I noticed last weekend upon take off and shifting between gears I was getting some "wobbling". I figured it was maybe the tread on the rear tires wearing. However, I stopped and noticed on the right side, the swingarm pivot was coming out away from the bike. Upon further inspection, the left side is coming out as well. I have read that this may be a typical problem, so my question to the forum is, do I need to take the rear wheels, brakes, etc off to get to the swingarm pivot? Or can I simply remove the bolt covers with the bike lifted and go about it that way? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

BTW...I am running a 240 rear that was installed over the spring with corresponding widened swingarm.

·
To boost or not??
1,916 Posts
So you say you have a 2002, but you are running a wider swingarm from what year? Did you change the pivot shaft and the motor mounts? Because I know they changed them from the earlier years in 2005.

Is is the motor mounts that are going bad? Any chance you could post up some pictures?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The swingarm I picked up from another member on the forum. It was custom made and off an 05A so the the fitment was the same. The pivot shaft and the motor mounts were exactly the same as they were the ones from my bike. The only problem I had was clearance on the right side due to the exhaust being basically where the pivot shaft hole is. I will try to post some pics later this afternoon.

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
The swingarm I picked up from another member on the forum. It was custom made and off an 05A so the the fitment was the same. The pivot shaft and the motor mounts were exactly the same as they were the ones from my bike. The only problem I had was clearance on the right side due to the exhaust being basically where the pivot shaft hole is. I will try to post some pics later this afternoon.
The 2005 swingarm used a different pivot shaft than what was used in 2002 as shown in this picture.

Your problem is probably related to using the incorrect pivot shaft and related components. Here's a thread with a post I wrote about fitting a 2005 swingarm to my 2002 VRSCA.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey stever975, I think you are right on the money with this. I remember during the install we had a bear of a time trying to get the pivot shaft out because of the "head" on the right end having "cap" that would not clear the exhaust. Basically the entire exhaust had to come apart. The pics you gave here are very helpful. Sounds like I need a new set up in there including new bushings, shaft, etc. Also, when I was looking at mines, I did notice the double bearings on the inside were completely loose so that would need changed as well. The question now is, will I need to dis assemble the entire rear wheel?

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
....The question now is, will I need to dis assemble the entire rear wheel?
Theoretically, no. On the assembly line the swingarm is installed with the wheel and rear brake as a unit.

However, that's a rather heavy subassembly and a lift with a special fixture is used on the assembly line. You would also have to remove the brake line for this type of R&R. It's probably a better idea to go "by the book" and remove the rear wheel first. Be sure to support the engine before removing the pivot shaft or the engine could drop and damage things as well as make refitting the shaft impossible.

·
To boost or not??
1,916 Posts
You would more then likely have to remove the rear wheel setup to have the old bearings pressed out, and the new bearing and bushing pressed into the swingarm.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like a job for a mechanic really. Im good at the minor stuff, the day to day things, but changing this out may get me over my head a bit.

·
RIP Jerry
956 Posts
Sounds like a job for a mechanic really. Im good at the minor stuff, the day to day things, but changing this out may get me over my head a bit.
It's not that bad i used all thread and i think a socket to push my old swing-arm bearing/bushing out.

Also my 05 didn't have bushings in the motor case it was aluminum all the way thru the case... my book showed it having them with even a part # but they're full of shit (being HD). I had a hell of a time getting my swing-arm shaft out couple years back.

This is what i went thru http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143337&highlight=

1 - 9 of 9 Posts