Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone....I just tried to install my saddlebag mounting kit and I stripped the rear shock mounting bolt as I tried to take it off. What happens now...how do I get it off? The end of the bolt is completely stripped.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
Did you stripped the head of the bolt? Cut a slot across the head with Dremel, set up with a cutting wheel, then use a large screwdriver to back it out.

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
Which bolt?

Top bolts go into an insert on the frame. You can reach under the fender, between the fender and splash guard, and take this piece out, put it in a vise and remove the broken bolt.

Bottom goes into the upper belt guard (left side) or a lock nut (right side). Bottom ones are going to require the method described in the previous post (or similar).

Rick

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
Top bolts go into an insert on the frame. You can reach under the fender, between the fender and splash guard, and take this piece out, put it in a vise and remove the broken bolt.

Rick
You still need to be able to keep the head of the bolt from turning, to back the insert off. Right?

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
Shoot.

You stripped the torx out? Plan A, or in a worse case scenario, you'll have to get an "easy out", drill a hole on the head and use the extractor to remove.

Worst WORSE CASE - use the aforementioned dremel to cut/grind the head completely off the bolt, and remove it and the insert/nut from the inside of the frame.

Rick

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help guys...I Dremel'd a notch for a screwdriver in the front of the bolt, and I'm going to pick up a 28mm wrench tomorrow and try to get the back off.

Ugh...this stinks. I appreciate your advice though, that helps a lot!

·
Captain DeadPool
660 Posts
I almost did the same thing because i didnt have any torx bits...allens worked ok for all except one.....long story short i got a new set of craftsman torx bits befor i got completly stripped.....damn loc-tite...."THIS IS NOT AN AD FOR CRAFTSMAN OR LOC-TITE"

·
Premium Member
11,356 Posts
Thanks for the help guys...I Dremel'd a notch for a screwdriver in the front of the bolt, and I'm going to pick up a 28mm wrench tomorrow and try to get the back off.

Ugh...this stinks. I appreciate your advice though, that helps a lot!
I would use a Dremel to square off the bolt head. Then a pair of vise gripe to remove it.

Which one did you screw up Right - left top or bottom?

·
brett
9,338 Posts
i also would try useing multi gripswith sharp teeth and do them up on the bolt with superman strength ,but for me i wouldnt dremel them off square cos multi have that curved tooth grip anyway ,

p,s if ur dremeling, careful of hot sparks on ur tins or tank

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone...it was the right top bolt. I ended up trying to Dremel out the middle and use a pry bar, but that didn't work so I Dremel'd off the top and bottom and use a vice grip. It worked perfect.

The saddlebags are finally on.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Now,if there is white corrosion on the threads,you probably have high electricity flowing through the bike where it shouldn't be.
Check the cooling system for high voltage.I think anything over .7 dc v is high.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
torch would of worked...

good job!

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts