Screwed plug in by hand til it stopped,
Got out Torgue-wrench and set it to 86 in-lbs. per service manual,
Tightened lock nut at the bottom of torgue wrench,
Started racketing spark plug,
Getting tighter,
Getting tighter,
THEN..."click" - wrench moves SUPPER easy,
Thought: "something doesn't feel right",
Pulled socket out of hole and there it is - the damn spark plug with no fu*kin thread on it!!!
FU*K!
Looked down hole, sure as sh*t...there's the rest of the plug with the electrode giving me the finger!!!

What the hell did I do wrong!?!

And, what do I do next?

And, how much is that going to cost me?

:banghead:

·
Ducking for cover!
8,455 Posts
86 sounds to me like a lot of torque for a plug. :confused:

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
Don't you have a buddy that works for H-D? Maybe he can help you fix it.

·
Registered
499 Posts
We'd probably need to see a photo to really understand what you are saying. In my experience, the only real problem is when you strip the threads in the head. Then is tap and helicoil (or new head) time.

If your plug broke, and I have had plugs break before, then you just have to find a way to remove the remaining debris from the hole.

See if you can take a pick of the plug parts that came out of the hole and what's currently in the hole and I'm sure one of our mechanical guru's can fix you right up.

·
Scott
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TexasV-Rod said:
86 sounds to me like a lot of torque for a plug. :confused:
SHIT! In the How-to section of the Service Manual it says, 9.7 Nm 86 IN-lbs., in the engine section of manual in torque values table it says 23 Nm 17 FT-lbs!!

·
Ducking for cover!
8,455 Posts
I dunno

·
Scott
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Scott
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not Helping Brentley!!!

·
Scott
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
devlpr said:
Not Helping Brentley!!!
um.... don't tighten it that much next time... :angeldev: :angeldev: :angeldev:

Could you put the broken plug back in with some glue/silicone, let it set up and then back the whole thing out?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Should be able to use easy out. use an angle drill, drill the center of the plug, use easy out and unscrew the part that is in the head. it is a real tight space to work in but if you take the air box and all the air filter assembly off you should be able to get to it from the top.
good luck

Jim

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
devlpr said:
SHIT! In the How-to section of the Service Manual it says, 9.7 Nm 86 IN-lbs., in the engine section of manual in torque values table it says 23 Nm 17 FT-lbs!!
In my 2003 Service Manual it says 23 Nm (17 ft-lbs) for the spark plugs in both the How-To section and the engine torque value section.

The only place it states 9.7 Nm (86 in-lbs) is for the coil fasteners.

Keep in mind that not all torque wrenches read in-lbs so if you have a ft-lb torque wrench and cranked it to 86 then that was your problem. 86 in-lbs would be about 7 ft-lbs.

·
Ducking for cover!
8,455 Posts
o2man98 said:
Keep in mind that not all torque wrenches read in-lbs so if you have a ft-lb torque wrench and cranked it to 86 then that was your problem. 86 in-lbs would be about 7 ft-lbs.
That's kinda what I was thinking... that you cranked it to 86FT-lbs

·
# 12/50 Ignite LE
2,913 Posts
All of my literature states the torque value at 23 Nm (17 ft lbs). If you truly set the torque wrench at 86 in lbs, that is only about 7.2 ft lbs. Are you sure your wrench is not in ft lbs? If you where cranking on it like a lug nut on a car wheel you were most likely at 86 ft lbs.

The problem you have now is to remove the broken spark plug and determine any damage to the head. Is it possible to get a pic of the part of the spark plug that came out? so then we might have an idea of whats left in the head. Then maybe somebody can come up with a solution for removal.

·
Scott
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
o2man98 said:
In my 2003 Service Manual it says 23 Nm (17 ft-lbs) for the spark plugs in both the How-To section and the engine torque value section.

The only place it states 9.7 Nm (86 in-lbs) is for the coil fasteners.

In my 2005 Service Manual the Newton Meters in the How-to-Section says 9.7 Nm (86 in. lbs.) - p. 1-36, in the Engine section p. 3-7 table it says 23 Nm 17 ft-lbs. Why the difference in Newton Meters?

Here's two stupid questions: How many IN-lbs in a FT-lb? And how many Nm in a FT-lb?

·
Scott
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Steppenwolf said:
12 in-lbs in a ft-lb, just like you might guess
Ok...then it's time for me to go back to 5th grade...

86/12= 7.16667

not 17

I'm I calculating something wrong?

1 - 20 of 104 Posts