Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 VRSCSE2. I seem to have taken every bolt possible out and I still can't get the stock license plate bracket to come off. Is there a trick to it? I'm trying to put a sidemount bracket on, but I'm pretty certain it's not going to look as planned without removing the old one. Any help would be appreciated.

Thus far, I have removed the 1bolt each side that also holds the turn signals on, the 2 bolts each side near the turn signal area that hold the fender liner in place, and the 2 bolts along the top edge of the license bracket on the back side of the license bracket. I don't want to start prying on the fender liner and break something unless prying is what is necessary to free it up.

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
We call that the DogsAss. I've removed 2 and I remember there are a couple "hidden" bolts but I can't recall where. If you remove your passenger pillion and then the rear fender, you'll expose everything and you'll get it off no problem.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We call that the DogsAss. I've removed 2 and I remember there are a couple "hidden" bolts but I can't recall where. If you remove your passenger pillion and then the rear fender, you'll expose everything and you'll get it off no problem.
I didn't find any hidden bolts, but once I took out the fender bolts and lifted the fender up a bit, the license bracket just fell out. What a pain just to remove a license bracket. Well, I have the sidemount on now and my next issue will be wiring the the license lamp. I have no idea where to wire it in, but I'll assume for the moment that I may find some suggestions elsewhere on the forum. If anyone wants to offer up the easiest place to wire into, please share. Thanks.

Here are pics of the new sidemount and my choice for locating the inspection sticker plate. I just bolted it to the bottom of the rear shock with the sidemount license. It doesn't seem to look too out of place in that position, and there aren't a lot of other places to put it on these bikes.

Attachments

·
Rocky Mountain Rider
341 Posts
I just finished mine and the wiring was a big concern for me as well. I ended up using black shrink tube and ran it under the shock, up the back, and then under the fender. It ended up being almost invisible...

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
I don't ride at night, so I don't care much about the lighting, but if it concerned me, I have thought about using some kind of led or other small projector light from the fender area. Some people have gone the distance and drilled their swingarms for hidden wiring.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I plan on running my wires up the shock also, but what am I attaching the wire to? Do you have to bare the wires under the seat and splice into those wires? Which colors?

·
Rocky Mountain Rider
341 Posts
I plan on running my wires up the shock also, but what am I attaching the wire to? Do you have to bare the wires under the seat and splice into those wires? Which colors?
Yes.. spliced the wires. There are only two so just make sure you do your grounds together (black) and you should be fine. Mine was black to black and blue to white if I recall correctly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts