Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
VRRRRRROD!
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm out riding this weekend and pick up a rattle when I hit a bump or rought road. I stop & try to find what's wrong & don't see anything. :hmm: I hear it all the way home & it's bugging the sh!t out of me! :mad:
I put it on the lift in the garage & happen to look at the headlight :eek: I can't believe what I see!!! The little reflector thing inside the headlight came loose :eek:

Does anyone know if I can get the lens assembly apart to reattach it??? HELP! :confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yep! same thing happened to me. Managed to repair it by removing light off the bike, then taking out globes and using index finger to manouver the reflector back into the slot. Worked for a while, then next decent bump it fell off again? Took it back to dealer for replacement under warranty. Was thinking that I should have super glued it in the first time!!

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Frank said:
Yep! same thing happened to me. Managed to repair it by removing light off the bike, then taking out globes and using index finger to manouver the reflector back into the slot. Worked for a while, then next decent bump it fell off again? Took it back to dealer for replacement under warranty. Was thinking that I should have super glued it in the first time!!
THE TURBO V-ROD HAS THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO IT TO! :tmbsdow:

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
These headlight assemblies are on ebay a lot, just in case your dealer in uncooperative ;)

·
Registered
601 Posts
That was a very common problem with the early 02 and I think HD did add a spring to fix it, on later bikes. Call the MoCo and see if they can't do something for you.

Dave

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Vrod-tlam said:
Thanks for the info, I'll go see if the tech at the dealer can help me (not going to hold my breath tho) :moon:
Let me know what you find out so that I can pass it along to Turbo Dan! :angeldev:

·
v -n*a*t*i*o*n.c*o*m
951 Posts
I may have a solution to get that out of the bottom. In the MEdical field there are things called Magill Forceps that you use during difficult intubations to help guide the ET tube into the lungs. The are kind of like hemostats but they are about 6-8 inches and have a curve to them. They may be able to get in ther and grab ahold of that lense and pull it out. If you know someone that can get you a pair it's worth a try

·
VRRRRRROD!
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got the 'rod' back from the dealer today, they just put the reflector back in the slot :hmm: The guy at the counter didn't know what they did to try & keep it from happening again? :spank:
I'm guessing it's going to fall out again at the beginning of a long ride into the mountains... and then :hitfan:

·
VRRRRRROD!
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Happened again...

Well, as I guessed, it happened again :mad: That damn reflector fell out inside the headlight.
The dealer replaced it the first time, and it lasted almost 6 months, maybe 2500 miles. It's something you don't think about until it breaks.

Has anyone figured out how to fix this yet?
Anyone else had to deal with this???

·
Registered
769 Posts
mine just fell out too. I just installed HID lighting, so I wondered if there was any connection, but probably not.

Time for surgery.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.