Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Marine 24/7
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rode my bike into work today just like i always do. The bike was fine going to work. Went to lunch and filled up with gas. Put in 4.4 gallons and about 3 to 4 hundred feet away from the gas station she started sputtering. Slowed down for a stop light and she wanted to die. So the only thing that i can think is that i got bad gas here on base. Would not supprise me at all, being that the military uses the lowest bidder for everything. so the help i need is i want to drain the fuel but am not sure how. i don't have a service manual yet but did plan on getting one. I just haven't been able to make to the dealer. If you could help that would be great. Any suggestions are welcome. :notworth:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Before you drain the gas, try putting some water remover in the tank. I suspect you got an abundance of water on that fill up, which is not uncommon. Civilians do not gauge for water - much less remove it IMO. Rubbing alcohol works well and is cheaper than dedicated gas additives. Pour in a few ounces and ride as much as you can to burn out that tank. If this does not work then you may have to proceed with draining.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
According to the Service Manual the correct way to drain the fuel is to syphon it.

"Use a pump or siphon and an approved gasoline storage container of sufficient capacity"

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
The_Apprentice said:
According to the Service Manual the correct way to drain the fuel is to syphon it.

"Use a pump or siphon and an approved gasoline storage container of sufficient capacity"
Hmm, I just use about 4 feet of hospital tubing and well, you can figure the rest.

:hidesbeh:

·
Marine 24/7
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well it is running a little bit better but still acting up from time to time. i put some fuel treatment stuff in it that is suppose to help with water in the fuel. still have about 3/4 of a tank left. the mech at the dealer told me to just run it out. hope it goes away soon. i plan on riding a few hundred miles this weekend. maybe to myrtle beach or something.

·
Extreme Rod
257 Posts
Check your spark plugs and the exhaust pipe bolts on the engine to make sure the nuts have not loosened. A leak there can cause the plugs to foul. Having it occur at the gas station may be coincidental. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Night DX said:
Nightmare that could be the wrong thought to put in some of these guys heads.
I'm just recovering.
Give me a good bowl of chilli anyday :paper:

·
Marine 24/7
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
figured out the problem

well i check all the wire connections, exhaust, and all that happy horse:stac: . everything checked good. so i added some gas treatment stuff that claims to help with water intrusion (not sure if i spelled that correctly). so feeling confident i take it out for a little spin and she is still acting up. so i am sitting on the couch thinking of what could cause this. well to give you a little back ground on me. i am in the marines and i work on the electronics on the mv22 osprey. so thinking about what i would do on the helo in this situation i decided that i would hook up the computer to the pcIII and see if some how it dropped the map. the helos have dropped the software in some components before. so i plugged it in and guess what!!! no map. put my map back in it and the tiger is back to life roaring just like before. it is so good to have her back. thanks for all the help. with that said has anybody heard of a power commander dropping maps before? :banghead:

·
Jay Johnston
1,732 Posts
niterodspecial1 said:
well i check all the wire connections, exhaust, and all that happy horse:stac: . everything checked good. so i added some gas treatment stuff that claims to help with water intrusion (not sure if i spelled that correctly). so feeling confident i take it out for a little spin and she is still acting up. so i am sitting on the couch thinking of what could cause this. well to give you a little back ground on me. i am in the marines and i work on the electronics on the mv22 osprey. so thinking about what i would do on the helo in this situation i decided that i would hook up the computer to the pcIII and see if some how it dropped the map. the helos have dropped the software in some components before. so i plugged it in and guess what!!! no map. put my map back in it and the tiger is back to life roaring just like before. it is so good to have her back. thanks for all the help. with that said has anybody heard of a power commander dropping maps before? :banghead:
Great trouble shooting Marine! The PCIII is a love it or hate it kind of thing, I imagine as you get more comfortable with it you will fall into one camp or the other. I like the SERT I have, fewer things hardware wise mounted to the bike to mess up.

·
ramma jamma
687 Posts
'atta boy niterodspecial1, way to think on your feet - er...couch....whatever.
Wanted to just include; when my duma$$ paw-in-law rode mine last, when he crunk it from being cooled off a while, he throttled it just the least little bit - warming it up-like (typical of old-school, carburetor gearhead, right?) and she acted spitty-sputtery just like that - in fact, died going down the drive if I remember right.....maybe just didn't give f.i. time to be sync'd up, etc...(?)..I don't even own an efi device (yet). My .02!
I have heard of them 'dropping' though...

·
Marine 24/7
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
if it happens from time to time then i understand. i just don't want it to happen when i am 1500 miles from home. ya know. oh well. i will ride this bike till she can't go anymore. till death do us part. :moped:

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
Night DX said:
Nightmare that could be the wrong thought to put in some of these guys heads.
I know, I know, I was trying to word it in the most PC way I could think of...

Way to figure it out niterod!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts