Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(2003 with briser and nrs bars) now my question is.....

WERE THE FOCK DO THE WIRE PLUGS GO WHEN IM DONE!!!! cause they dont fit inside the Briser or do they? if so how the FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFock! Did people just cut the plugs out and shorten them up/ re splice them/? thanks!

(ill post a pick so Brett don get all pissy!)

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Next question, for the bars do you pinch the wires under the bars were they get clamped? or run them another way??? like threw the middle or something??? seems alittle tough on the wiring!

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Next question, for the bars do you pinch the wires under the bars were they get clamped? or run them another way??? like threw the middle or something??? seems alittle tough on the wiring!
Looks great! I would not shorten cables. If cabels are to long i would mount them on battery and pull out some cables on left and right side of steering.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well screw the DX Cowl light not a fan of the look, I went back to the A one. Anyone with a Nightrod, NRS, anything with a B style riser could you look at your wires and tell me if theyre ran under the bar and pinched on the lower part of the riser???

Attachments

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
heres a picture of basic dragbars. if you notice about 4 inches from the end of the bars theres a recessed or dimpled area, the wire will go there and in between the switch housing and bar. it leaves just enough room for them to not get pinched but not have much movement. be-careful as not TO pinch the the plastic sheathing that the wires are actually inside of, its a bit tricky almost like you need 3 hands hope this helps, if not get a better picture and we;ll get it figured it.

Attachments

·
brett
9,338 Posts
or in that dimpled area that 2006 mentioned drill a hole and disconnect ur plugs run the wires down it and reconnnect them .and now u have internal wiring ,somewhere there is a thread by max on how to do it in the how to do it section ,

p,s if ur drilling in the dimple area a stepped drill works well ,if u need i have a set of nrs bars here done that i can take a pic of for you

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
Best way I can explain it, the wires that were on the bars with your A setup, I left outside the housing but inside the first part below the triple tree, if that makes sense. I don't get off work til late, but I can snap a pic and post it. Not sure if it is the correct way, but the way I did it.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I can't see the pictures very good at all.I tried to brighten them up,but they are such poor quality that they just become a blur.

The wires on mine come straight up through the top clamp and plug into the speedo head.No need for pinching anything cause there is plenty of room.

·
day dreaming...
1,795 Posts
(2003 with briser and nrs bars) now my question is.....

WERE THE FOCK DO THE WIRE PLUGS GO WHEN IM DONE!!!! cause they dont fit inside the Briser or do they? if so how the FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFock! Did people just cut the plugs out and shorten them up/ re splice them/? thanks!

(ill post a pick so Brett don get all pissy!)

Neil, I had this setup before. Wire (and plug) will be BEHIND the B riser, under the cluster. they are too long so you will have to fold and zip-tie them. Now, if you do internal wiring, then you will have to cut them. good luck!

·
Isld Shite Disturber
1,040 Posts
Now, if you do internal wiring, then you will have to cut them. good luck!
never,never,never cut your wires.....there is no need to do that for internal wiring! Neil, I would shoot for internal wiring......it just looks so much better/cleaner.....and it's easy!

Take out Maxi fuse first!!! {front right side louver cover}

Take off the front left louvered cover off your bike. You will see a bunch of connections. The gray one and the black one are the ones that go to the switch housings,, unplug those and take the wires out of the plug and then feed them through the bars. Make yourself a diagram on the location of each wire so they don't get mixed up. I think there are 6 ??? wires in each connection. It is very easy to take those connectors apart..... here: http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96403

They are easy to take apart, but take a minute and make a diagram of the wire locations so you don't get them mixed up. Its really an easy job to run the wires inside the bars. One thing,, make sure you get all the sharp edges off the holes you drill so the wires don't have a chance to fray or get sliced etc. when your pulling them through the bars.......if I remember correctly I drilled a 9/16" or 5/8" hole for the wiring {note this hole is drilled inside the riser between the clamp area so they are out of sight/view...the holes for the wire at the switch housing location only need to be 3/8" or 7/16"}

Also, here is Max's pics on what the switch plugs etc look like:
http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1082&highlight=wires

Also, some good info and pics here of the drilling process inside the B-Riser and up near the switch housings: http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58481&highlight=drilling+holes+internal+wiring

·
SpeedoDocter
2,364 Posts
:them:I'm with conrad here..Internal...Make the hole in the middlle an oval one in length of the bar. put a rigid electric wire thruh the bar and ducktape two receptakles/wires to it and tape all others right after the other making the bundle thicker in steps. It's a pita to do but it pays off.

·
Isld Shite Disturber
1,040 Posts
Make the hole in the middlle an oval one in length of the bar.
thats what I did...I already forgot about that...and it's only been 2 yrs...haha,, I think I drilled a 5/8" in the middle and bored it oval...both wires fit easily once it's filed smooth....Thanks for the reminder Angelo!

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
thats what I did...I already forgot about that...and it's only been 2 yrs...haha,, I think I drilled a 5/8" in the middle and bored it oval...both wires fit easily once it's filed smooth....Thanks for the reminder Angelo!
5/8 of an inch? the bars are only 1 inch OD. that would pose a very serious safety and structural integrity issue if it had a hole that size in it.maybe you were thinking a 5/16 hole?

·
Isld Shite Disturber
1,040 Posts
5/8 of an inch? the bars are only 1 inch OD. that would pose a very serious safety and structural integrity issue if it had a hole that size in it.maybe you were thinking a 5/16 hole?
maybe it was 9/16"....it sounds big but it isn't...but you also have to bore it length wise probably up to 7/8" ...and you can't get those wires though with the casing on them with anything less than this unless you drill 2 holes at like 7/16",, remember it's clamped down on each side of the hole........ mine is stronger then whale bone and I only have one hole...and it's a hell of a lot stronger then an A set-up that has drilled holes in the center between the riser welds......this pics is of an A bar....the B bar clamps down differently but the hole ends up looking like this in his pic:

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=69257&d=1170142775

·
brett
9,338 Posts
and also make sure the holes a deburred and filed to be baby bum smooth ,so it doesnt chaffe and cut through ur wiring .VERY IMPORTANTANT,lol

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
maybe it was 9/16"....it sounds big but it isn't...but you also have to bore it length wise probably up to 7/8" ...and you can't get those wires though with the casing on them with anything less than this unless you drill 2 holes at like 7/16",, remember it's clamped down on each side of the hole........ mine is stronger then whale bone and I only have one hole...and it's a hell of a lot stronger then an A set-up that has drilled holes in the center between the riser welds......this pics is of an A bar....the B bar clamps down differently but the hole ends up looking like this in his pic:

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=69257&d=1170142775
10-4, i just didn't want anyone misunderstanding a making a hole that size in the bars. i would still be weary of a 9/16 size hole but i've never run wires internally.

i thought the fellow just wanted to know how to put it back the way it came off. y'all carry on i'm done here.

·
Isld Shite Disturber
1,040 Posts
10-4, i just didn't want anyone misunderstanding a making a hole that size in the bars. i would still be weary of a 9/16 size hole but i've never run wires internally.

i thought the fellow just wanted to know how to put it back the way it came off. y'all carry on i'm done here.
understand bud......but seriously this is super strong......I would also say it's stronger then the flex one gets on the much longer factory B bar with the holes they have drilled in them for external wiring.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well fock I think I will route these internally then seems to make sence. Now what is the opinion on the Cowl light vs the A light? Im favoring the A at this point but like to hear others comments on this. Appreciate all the input from everyone!

Neil

·
Isld Shite Disturber
1,040 Posts
Well I would go for internal for sure Neil..... I thought you were going this route when we talked about it the last time we rode......btw the DX bar you put on does it have external holes in it for attaching the wiring externally?...just curious cuz I know my factory B bar has holes that were visible where the clips attach to hold wires...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts