Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The problem started out of no where a few weeks ago. I was running low on fuel (light on but not close to bottom) and the bike started sputtering at low rpm. I filled the tank and the problem did not go away and only got worse. The bike stalls if I am at neutral and not throttling, the bike stalls if I am at rpms lower than 2k at stop signs, and the bike turns on but chokes if I do not throttle, the bike will stall if I went from high to low gear without keeping high rpm. Reading the various threads on the subject did the usual suspects: changed the IAC sensor, cleaned and lubed throttle cable/body, and finally now removed my power commander. Unfortunately while the situation is a bit better the bike still needs throttling to turn on and stalls at idle. In terms of codes it has given the random B1002 and it has given a code about loss of idle which disappeared after changing the IAC sensor. What could be wrong? I am due to do a long trip in few weeks and need to sort this out asap.

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
...I filled the tank and the problem did not go away and only got worse. The bike stalls if I am at neutral and not throttling, the bike stalls if I am at rpms lower than 2k at stop signs, and the bike turns on but chokes if I do not throttle, the bike will stall if I went from high to low gear without keeping high rpm. Reading the various threads on the subject did the usual suspects: changed the IAC sensor, cleaned and lubed throttle cable/body, and finally now removed my power commander. Unfortunately while the situation is a bit better the bike still needs throttling to turn on and stalls at idle. In terms of codes it has given the random B1002 and it has given a code about loss of idle which disappeared after changing the IAC sensor. What could be wrong? I am due to do a long trip in few weeks and need to sort this out asap.
Poor idle control can be due to a number of other issues besides the IAC. If you've cleaned the IAC and confirmed it's working (look down the idle air bypass port between the velocity stacks and confirm that the IAC pintle fully extends when the ignition is turned off) then you should also check for:
  1. bad fuel or bad fuel injectors,
  2. maladjusted throttle cables,
  3. bad spark plugs or coils,
  4. air leaks in the intake (e.g., throttle body boots),
  5. aftermarket fuel adjuster malfunction (bad Power Commander)
BTW, B1002 is not an HD DTC. I'd guess it was actually B1005 (fuel sender open/high). If this was just because you were messing with the fuel pump connector it doesn't mean much, however; you should double check that this connector is seated properly.

Another important point: when the ignition is first turned on you should see the CEL (check engine light) and key icon illuminate for 4 s and then turn off. Make sure the throttle is fully closed and don't mess with it during this 4 s start-up period. Also don't try to start the bike until after this 4s period (wait for the two lights to go out before hitting the START button). The ECM checks the TPS during this 4 s period and if you mess with it or start the engine too early the engine could run poorly until the next start-up cycle.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey tks for coming back. I have completely replaced the IAC/motor. The old one had signs of getting stuck as the pin was all covered up with soot. I have removed the power commander remove that out of the equation. The spark plugs and the battery have been changed a couple of months ago. I never turn on the bike before the engine check is off. I have cleaned and lubed the throttle cables. So that is covering most of the list above but will check the others- although why would such issues come out of nowhere? As for the B1002 code there are tons of posts about this on the forum and it is indeed not on the code list by HD and it could be anything although most people seem to relate this to electric/wiring short somewhere. In my case I normally get this before my battery is about to die as when I change the battery I stop getting that code....

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
...I have cleaned and lubed the throttle cables. So that is covering most of the list above but will check the others- although why would such issues come out of nowhere? As for the B1002 code there are tons of posts about this on the forum and it is indeed not on the code list by HD....
Bad fuel would be the most likely culprit for a sudden change in behavior, however; I'd also suggest contacting HD customer service (800-258-2464, Monday through Friday 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM, CST) about the undocumented DTC. This could indicate an ECM malfunction.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts