Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

It is VERY frustrating trying to find someone qualified enough to do the valve lash check/adjustment on my V-rod. After calling several dealerships around the area, no one seems to want to give me a straight answer as to the experience their staff have on the Revo motor, and the only dealership with someone somewhat qualified to do it (this does not even guarantee the job will be done correctly), wants to charge an arm and a leg for it. One dealership bragged about two of their tech's just graduating from school and how qualified they are to work on the Revo motor.http://www.1130cc.com/forums/images/smilies/banghead.gif

So, I'm currently left with maybe working on it myself (successfully completed the 10K service on my own) or searching for a qualified V-rod mechanic or forum member around the Atlanta area to do a Valve check/adjustment on my VRSCR.

I have 19.5K miles on her and rapidly approaching the 20K, probably by this weekend.

Recently, I read a thread about a few Forum members getting together up North and having this procedure done on another forum member's bike successfully. It would be great if we can get this done down here with someone experienced enough to show the rest of us how it should be done.

Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
day dreaming...
1,795 Posts
I cant help you with the valve lash, but I don't think you need to be in a hurry to do it. I had my 03 done first time @ 30K, and 4 out of 8 are out of spec. they guy who did it recommends 20-25K interval. He races destroyer so he knows VROD engines, and he said he did valve lashes on engines @ 15 and 20K and none of them were in a critical condition.

Now I am not saying you don't need valve lashes @20K, its just, base on my experience, you still can shop around and/or gather DYI info while still putting miles on the bike without worrying too much.

·
Proud Infidel!
5,160 Posts
It was my bike that was worked on recently. This was my first experience of trying this check. I have 7 peices of advice...

1- Buy a service manual for your bike, read it many many times while staring at your bike to learn all the parts.
2- Take the engine all the way out...I know others disagree, but if you're clumsy like I am, it helps.
3- Find a local Harbor Freight store and load up on the tools you'll need primarily 5mm Allen head drivers.
4- Be patient.
5- Contact Rod, (RSC) on the Forum here, in my opinion he is THE GURU of stockl bike repairs.
6- Make sure you have a complete set of gaskets including the exhaust ones as well as a jug of HD antifreeze, new oil and filter.
7- Be patient.

Good Luck,
Steve

·
George
5,411 Posts
Good advise from Steve, except HF tools are shit! Go get Craftsman at the LEAST... MAC or Snap-on better yet.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to everyone so far for the replies, and please keep them coming!

Steve,
I wonder if Rod, (RSC) the guru, would be willing to hold a seminar down South for a few of us that have the tools to get this done, expenses paid for of course! I'll even let him use my bike as show and tell. Heck, we could even make a video of it and posted for everyone's enjoyment and future DYI info.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Redracer95,

The trip up north does sound like a very tempting offer, and I just might if I can't find anyone qualified enough. All the members here have always offered up a tip and the like to make our V-rods run better, smother, but that offer goes above and beyond! That is just one small testament on how much help you guys can be. That's a lot more than any
dealership will ever do and the reason why I love this forum!

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
Garage is always open.

I think if you where to pull the engine and head to Va to Smoothrods place. PM him and see if he can help you out. This would save you on the drive time.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
sounds like you should take a road trip north straight north up I75 to northwest ohio. jmho
isn't Atlanta closer to FL than Ohio? Reach out to Capngeo here on the forum. He's down in FL and is very much capable of doing/helping with a valve lash. Great guy, but he has a bad habit of destroying empty kegs

·
Sleep is over-rated
2,423 Posts
valve lash

hmmmmm

mine is coming due also

hmmmmmmm

and capengeo is only 40 miles from here

hmmmmmmmm

isn't Atlanta closer to FL than Ohio? Reach out to Capngeo here on the forum. He's down in FL and is very much capable of doing/helping with a valve lash. Great guy, but he has a bad habit of destroying empty kegs

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
hmmmmm

mine is coming due also

hmmmmmmm

and capengeo is only 40 miles from here

hmmmmmmmm
If you commit let me know. I NEED to be there.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
I realy need a vacation!!!

·
Sleep is over-rated
2,423 Posts
you
are
all
enablers

rsc,

it was 84 today down here

just sayin

and if we can get to doing this prior to dec 18 when i leave for xmas break?

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
yeah and I have the compression tools...

and shims

Keep twisting my arm...lol

·
Sleep is over-rated
2,423 Posts
valve adjust

your making it easy on us

you have the tools

desire

shims

and 2 bikes so far that need this adjustment

plus plenty of hands to help and eager to learn

just sayin

yeah and I have the compression tools...

and shims

Keep twisting my arm...lol

·
Banned
4,421 Posts
are we gunna get an instructional how to vid. out of this.:D

·
Proud Infidel!
5,160 Posts
Good advise from Steve, except HF tools are shit! Go get Craftsman at the LEAST... MAC or Snap-on better yet.
I agree totally, but if you're just setting up a toll box/ shop for bikes, then use the cheap stuff 'til you see what you REALLY need, then step over the high dollar stuff like Snap-on. I'm experimenting with different allen wrench sets now and once I figure out what I like the best, I'll get good ones and cull out the bad.

·
Proud Infidel!
5,160 Posts
Garage is always open.

I think if you where to pull the engine and head to Va to Smoothrods place. PM him and see if he can help you out. This would save you on the drive time.

Rod......see I told you we could undermine the MoCo by a lot and have a steady stream of Man-cave activity.....shoot, you've got the ballgame on the TV in the cave, great tools, lighting and a human engine jack. This could blossom into something really good.

Next time we should video everything.

Steve

1 - 20 of 100 Posts