Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I moved this out from the other 07 post hoping to get a bit better visibility.

The instructions sent with the unit seem to be for an 06. They do not address the coolant overflow tank at all. It appears it needs to be relocated backwards, but no pics or anything that I can find.

does anyone have the 07 instructions or can they share with me what they did.

Also how do you get the ignitition loose to relocate it?

I was going to go on and do that prior to putting back the radiator hose so I could have better access to it to fit it back on the nipple. Removing that thing was a serious pain in the but.

any other tricks different for an 07 vs an 06?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
519 Posts
call me - pm'd number
 

·
Color me Gone
Joined
·
27,333 Posts
Thanks ROdent, it's just one model I haven't done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I talked to RO and think I have it down. Seems the tank needs to be moved back behind the cross bar and just kinda left there. Also the drain hose will not be long enough so off to auto zone or advance to find one tomorrow.

Really think Nicks guys should know the difference between an o7 and send you the correct instructions and parts.

I am photoing the entire thing and will do a write up when I am done.... I was so impressed with franks write up where he did his bb that I thougt even if I was cluless about this it might make interesting reading....best case it might help someone else out.

will start posting pics tomorrow night
 

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
Joined
·
2,170 Posts
I hate the way they have you relocate the ignition, looks stupid to me sitting out there so I put it somewhere else. It is also hard for people to find it, so unless they know where I put it, starting my bike can't happen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
519 Posts
I heard Trask created a video of install on 2007 DX - they just have not released yet. Once that is done it should help. Current instructions could definately be a little better. The smile on your face when you start the bike and the smile you will get when riding it is worth it... I totally recommend the Trask system...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
519 Posts
dmlkm said:
I hate the way they have you relocate the ignition, looks stupid to me sitting out there so I put is somewhere else totally. It is also hard for people to find it so unless they know where I put it, starting my bike can't happen.
Go keyless :). I even cut the keylock tabs of my bike (2007) and refinished the area...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so the RJ mod will let me go keyless?

I have some stuff on ebay that closes tomorrow and will be ordering that mod when I get paid.
 

·
MISSISSIPPI KID
Joined
·
1,352 Posts
Looking Forward To The Pics!

I can't wait to see the 07 pics! You will love the Turbo Rod! Jeb:D
 

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
Joined
·
2,170 Posts
vesteroid said:
so the RJ mod will let me go keyless?

I have some stuff on ebay that closes tomorrow and will be ordering that mod when I get paid.
This is just IMHO, but you can already be keyless, you don't have to use your key you just need to find a place to put your ignition. That is what I did. I bought some thick wire and ran the ignition to what I think is a better place. But I do have an alarm and when armed the bike won't start.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
519 Posts
dmlkm said:
This is just IMHO, but you can already be keyless, you don't have to use your key you just need to find a place to put your ignition. That is what I did. I bought some thick wire and ran the ignition to what I think is a better place. But I do have an alarm and when armed the bike won't start.
True. Go Keyless with DGD is what I really wanted to say :D. A person can still flick the start switch on your bike causing power to headlamp, etc. So, keyless with a DGD unless you are willing to run a lot more wires to prevent power via your stock alarm.

Also, if you have the money buy the keyless system from DGD. Nothing against RJs system (I have one and love it - well one that has been modified) just they have made a smaller, sealed, solid state system.
 

·
Friend of Max.
Joined
·
21,719 Posts
RODent said:
True. Go Keyless with DGD is what I really wanted to say :D. A person can still flick the start switch on your bike causing power to headlamp, etc. So, keyless with a DGD unless you are willing to run a lot more wires to prevent power via your stock alarm.

Also, if you have the money buy the keyless system from DGD. Nothing against RJs system (I have one and love it - well one that has been modified) just they have made a smaller, sealed, solid state system.
:stupid: Get the DGD-KIM system. It functions identically to the one I was making. There is a group buy going on right now. Open until 3 September.
Link Here.

It should be easier to mount, and easier to hide than the other one.

RJ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
519 Posts
:stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :D
 

·
Color me Gone
Joined
·
27,333 Posts
vesteroid said:
so the RJ mod will let me go keyless?

I have some stuff on ebay that closes tomorrow and will be ordering that mod when I get paid.

Mark there should have been a bracket in the kit to space the key out. If it was not in the kit I can check first thing Monday for you to see what happened.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There was a bracket I just dont see how to get the ignition off the frame so I can mount the bracket...will try and find it in the service manual (havent looked yet)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
One other thing, did you guys epoxy that breather fitting in the front cylinder?

Or does it just kinda press / tamp in there and fit from friction?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
519 Posts
vesteroid said:
One other thing, did you guys epoxy that breather fitting in the front cylinder?

Or does it just kinda press / tamp in there and fit from friction?
I used epoxy. Pop the cover off your keyswitch to reveal the bolts holding to frame.
 

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
Joined
·
2,170 Posts
RODent said:
I used epoxy. Pop the cover off your keyswitch to reveal the bolts holding to frame.
Not only that, I used hose clamps everywhere - eventually. There was oiling from the rear until I hose clamped everything.

Also, it seems that putting the breather hose back in the air filter blows out the K&N oil and makes the filter turn black. So I plugged that breather hose hole and bought a long hose and ran the breather hose out the bottom of the bike. So far, problem solved (I had to re-oil 3 times, since the fix, filter is good now - no re-oiling).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah lol well you should see the look on my face and the parts scattered all over the garage...

I thougth I was pretty mechanicaly inclined but this is not a simple job so far...nothing really hard about it except believing you have the stuff in the right place...I think with about 20 more pictures with arrows pointing to the stuff it would help a ton...I am sure the guy who have put these on think the instructions are fine, of course when they say the throttle body vaccuum port they know where it is and what it looks like....me I am reading the manual, looking at pictures and trying to figure it out for sure.

RO you mean just plain old two part 5 minute epoxy? and you just clean up the oil dry the port , push it in, and epoxy around the outside like a bead of caulk?
 
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Top