Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
took the bike out for a run today to charge up the battery,its been very cold here -9c last week.but today is fairly mild.Bike started up fine,let it tick over for 5 mins was running fine,went off on the ride was accelerating as normal but when i went on to trailing throttle seemed to be a bit of a misfire, this went away as i accelerated again.misfire got progressively worse and was running quite rough felt lucky to make it back home but the misfire is intermittent,any ideas??

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Volatility?
Bit more info,checked all the bits of the bike i could think of without stripping bits off , battery terminals etc nothing visual hanging off,put some winter fuel additive in and went for another test ride,bike seems to run okay till it gets warm, then the misfire kicks in is now misfiring throughout the rev range but again intermittently by the time i got it home was really rough and wouldn't tick over,but when i restarted it ran okay.

·
www.badpenny.org
4,172 Posts
Water in the fuel Jim?
It would sink to to bottom of the tank when its been stood but gets mixed with the fuel when riding.
I had this once with a Ducati and when I drained the tank there must have been half a pint in it.

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Steve,one of the things I will look at,but it seems strange that the fault only seems to start after the bike warms up,which makes it more difficult to solve and also i have to go for about 4 miles before it kicks in then try to limp back home.Am going to try to go through fault code procedure today and see if that shows anything.Am also surprised that with the thousands of people on the site you are the only one to respond to my request for assistance!

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now really baffled?

Two things,first,decided to check the fault codes today,having never done this before just want to run it past a more knowledgeable
person to make sure I did it right.
With the ignition off an run switch on push in odo button and hold turned on ignition and released button.got p s c displayed with p flashing held in button for 5 seconds got the word none,repeated with with s and c both times got the word none.Can I deduce from this I have no fault codes?
Now the second is, started up the bike in the garage and let the engine run for 15 mins, revved it up to around 3000 rpm half a dozen times and held it a steady 2000 for a minute,bike ran fine.Got my gear on and took the bike for a blast down a quiet road rook it right up the rev range and over 100 mph a few times then tried steady throttle and some enginge braking.Bike performed faultlessly covered around 5 miles then rode home.never missed a beat, anybody any ideas?Since this has happened once dont want it happen again when i am miles from home,would rather I had found a problem that i could fix than not knowing if its going to repeat itself.

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks Elrodon for the post,see my post re the codes.I am running a techlusion dfo been on there for 4 years.

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
Have you topped off the tank with fresh fuel? I only ask because I had a similar problem once where the bike would idle fine but under load would start lugging and running horribly. I topped off the tank with fresh fuel and some dry-gas and the bike ran fine ever since. I figured there must have been some moisture in tank.

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
Also you are correct you have no codes.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
It could be the tuner.
It could be the coils,or the boots and springs on the coils.
Pull the coils and don't touch the boots.Look at the boots closely for ant white powdery marks.This is what is left behind when the electricity shoots through the rubber.
Clean the springs,stretch them and replace the boots if needed.Use dielectric cream on the boots.I pull mine every oil change and out the cream on.

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have you topped off the tank with fresh fuel? I only ask because I had a similar problem once where the bike would idle fine but under load would start lugging and running horribly. I topped off the tank with fresh fuel and some dry-gas and the bike ran fine ever since. I figured there must have been some moisture in tank.
I had filled the bike up about a week before, figured it would be better sitting in the garage with a full tank to avoid condesation in the really cold weather we had.

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It could be the tuner.
It could be the coils,or the boots and springs on the coils.
Pull the coils and don't touch the boots.Look at the boots closely for ant white powdery marks.This is what is left behind when the electricity shoots through the rubber.
Clean the springs,stretch them and replace the boots if needed.Use dielectric cream on the boots.I pull mine every oil change and out the cream on.
Will try that, am going to change the plugs also next week as they have been in for around 10,000 miles.Just really strange that it seems to be okay now and would have thought the faults you mentioned would be there all the time not just when the engine was warm.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,946 Posts
check your plugs

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just ordered a couple off the internet will change them next week.Have ngk irridium ones in at the moment will use them again

1 - 16 of 16 Posts