Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installing my leather saddlebags. At step 25 it says to install screw through shock mount support, saddle bag support, then install lock nut.

The problem is that the screw is spinning when tightening and you cannot get a wrench on it to hold it and keep it from spinning. It appears that the shock mount support is supposed to keep it from spinning but it is not working.

Anybody had this problem?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,084 Posts
The bolt will continue to spin until the locknut is on the backside. You'll need a wrench back there to hold it steady while you tighten from the front side.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LiquidSilver said:
The bolt will continue to spin until the locknut is on the backside. You'll need a wrench back there to hold it steady while you tighten from the front side.
The locknut goes on the front, according to instructions. You can not hold the bolt with a wrench because it fits up into a recessed area.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
922 Posts
I put the HD hard bags on and i'm not sure whats step 25, but if its the install of brackets, I diconnected my lower shock bolts and lowered the swingarm. With a flex-head socket and a long extension I went over the top of the tire from the other side. The bike has to be on a jack or lift to allow the swing arm to drop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MurphysLaw said:
I put the HD hard bags on and i'm not sure whats step 25, but if its the install of brackets, I diconnected my lower shock bolts and lowered the swingarm. With a flex-head socket and a long extension I went over the top of the tire from the other side. The bike has to be on a jack or lift to allow the swing arm to drop.
The soft bags are different.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,084 Posts
I went to the garage and looked at my leather bag mount... you're right... bolt mounts from inside to outside. Push bolt through and spin nut on as far as it will go. Use open end wrench to tighten NUT side. On the bolt head... use a pair of PLIERS to press the head of the bolt against the plate while tightening the nut until there's enough friction to keep the had of the bolt from spinning. There's just enough space to grab the edge of the bolt head.... be patient.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can't be done.....not by myself anyway. Not enough room to get pliers on that bolt head.
 

·
Skunked 2003 VRSCA
Joined
·
92 Posts
ndtiger said:
Can't be done.....not by myself anyway. Not enough room to get pliers on that bolt head.
Maybe some needle-nose or a cheap/thin adjustable wrench to hold it? Sounds like it might be time to purchase a one-use tool...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After 3 hours of fighting it I gave up. Got me some regular nuts with lock washers. Lok-tie and I am done.

Thanks for the help everyone.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top