Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an '05 SE. Mods are simple - trick tank, modded mufflers, and keyless mod. Very simple stuff.

Riding home on a long journey today, 200 miles in, it died.:mad:

It's certainly electrical in nature.

While cruisin @ about 80, the tach started jumping from current rpm back and forth down to 0, then the speedo did nearly the same, then both gauges died, and the odo display and fuel gauge led's died, nearly simultaniously with the engine. Pulled in the clutch and cruised as close to the nearest ramp as I could.

Flipping the on/off button deos nothing. Pressing the odo switch on the odo gauge shows the current mileage. The alarm arms, disarms, and fully functions.

I pulled both side covers, the maxi fuse was ok, and the wiring for the keyless mod was still perfect from a visual. Giggling the wires I modded showed no signs of any change. Screwing with the relay for the mod did nothing either.

I need as much input as I can befor it goes to the stealer. I don't want them to pull the "you modded it, so yer f*$ked" deal. I've been ridin with the keyless mod for over 3500 miles now, so I don't think it's that, and I can't seem to find anything under the search.

Any help would be appreciated!! Thx in advance.

·
Darth Veeness
2,014 Posts
Check your battery. A lot of problems with these bikes have been atributed to a bad battery. Take it to the stealer, they should charge it let it sit for 24 hours, and then load check it. If it isn't the battery the next thing in the system is the voltage regulator. Other than that I have no ideas. Your description sounds like lack of voltage/current because things went out at or about the same time. Good luck.

·
The Hawk
3,892 Posts
Sounds like a loose battery cable, check them and make sure they are tight, mine did that once when I forgot to tighten up the ground cable after having it all apart. Check the ground attachement on top the front valve cover too.

Mike

·
Dances with Rain!
3,713 Posts
Check your stator. I had a Super Glide T-Sport that did the same thing. It ate the battery at the same time. Also check the voltage regulator.

Jim

·
Scott
492 Posts
Tom...it's the larger electrical connector located behind the left side cover. Can't remember what the damn thing is called. It's big and the longest connector of the three behind the side cover. Did you wash the bike or ride in the rain prior to the problem happening?

Read this post:

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70669

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got 'er fixed!

You guys are great! :notworth: I started playing with all the cables hooked to the battery and found the power lead for the kelyless mod relay was the problem. When I wired it in, I bent the terminal for the fusible link right where the wire connects. I did this for better fitment due to the way I ran the wiring. Unfortunately it must have fatigued over time and decided to give way.:banghead:

I removed the fusible link, wired in a fuse holder, and now it works great. :ride:

Thanks for all your help guys. :cheers:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts