Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike has a sort of misfire but only happens at less than half throttle. When I twist it all the way, it fires on both but feels really sluggish. If I pull the clutch in and let it idle, it will die. Help please!!

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I found a code P1356... What does this mean? No code for it here that I could find!

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
are you sure it wasn't a P1358? P1358 Current Rear cylinder combustion intermittent 4.19 COMBUSTION ABSENT/INTERMITTENT

If you've recently had work performed on the bike that involved removing the airbox and or spark plugs, it sounds to me that one of the coil pack wiring harnesses isn't completely seated.

·
Registered
57 Posts
yea I had a problem that sounded like what you descibed to the T. I had it checked out and one of my coil packs was going bad. Had it replaced and all was well. Check the connection first though just in case.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
yea I had a problem that sounded like what you descibed to the T. I had it checked out and one of my coil packs was going bad. Had it replaced and all was well. Check the connection first though just in case.
Check the spark plug for proper gap. Make sure the coil pack is making good contact (The springs are notorious for coming loose) then if this still doesn't fix the issue, swap the coil packs, front to back. If you still get a failure for combustion code, then you'll need to change the coil pack.

If you do end up changing the coil pack, change them both. Toss the bad one, and save the other old one for a spare.

·
LEX MALLA LEX NULLA
1,072 Posts
Are you by any chance running a fuel enriching device? If non of the above solves the problem you may be experiencing a problem with it going bad.

·
Another Aussie
91 Posts
Darth,
You have a 2009 DX I see. Why don't you get problems like this fixed under warranty?:D

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
Thanks, I found a code P1356... What does this mean? No code for it here that I could find!
The listed DTCs in the technical section are not up to date.

P1356 is "Rear Cylinder no combustion"
P1353 is "Front Cylinder no combustion"

I'd suggest following RJ's advice in Post #6.

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for thew responses everyone. It is at the dealership now for the work. Yes it is under warranty but I like to do it myself. Looks like I'm going to have to. Cowboy HD in Beaumont Texas is just as clueless as all of the other dealerships! Looks like the best option is Cajun HD 150 miles away. Anyway, they said that they will not replace it unless they could duplicate the problem while riding. I told them that is fine but they will gladly replace my motor when I blow the thing up. Anyone have a part number for the rear coil pack?

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
try reseating the coil packs first, if problem still persists, follow Obi-wan RJ's advice and swap the front pack w/the rear to see if problem persists. There is more knowledge on this forum, Hell, there's more VROD knowledge within RJ's noggin than in most HD shops combined.

·
Banned
8,925 Posts
Another unconclusive thread as to what was the original problem and/or solution!!! Fourth straight one I read with similar cases and NO conclusion! SHAME!!! :soapbox:

I better go back to work.... :banghead:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts